Who'd You Rather?

shawanda

Who'd You Rather?

Post by shawanda »

If you are a recruiter, and considering both current events and the appalling lack of diversity in staffing at many international schools worldwide, who'd you rather hire (in order of preference) to fill your remaining open positions for the 2020-2021 school year?

a) a single educator of color (trendy, yet to my ears, regressive way of saying "a black or brown person")
b) an educator with a trailing spouse and two school-aged dependents
c) an educator currently based in China (thus possibly in close contact to COVID-19)
d) an accomplished 20-year independent school (US) educator with no certificate/teacher's license
e) a current school administrator looking to get back into the classroom or take on reduced responsibilities

sid

Re: Who'd You Rather?

Post by sid »

Without a CV and an interview? Shooting in the dark and revealing our innate beliefs? I’ll play.

First, e. I’ve worked with several and they all did great. Heads down, never complain, meet all deadlines, effective, calm and persistent with students, all policies followed. They’ve seen the big picture of school politics and are happy to be far away from it.
Second, any of the first three. There’s nothing there to say who will be better.
Last, the teacher without a license. I can’t get a visa for her in my current or past two countries, so there’s no point tempting myself.

shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I'd be looking at all but d. Then it comes down to fit, and how the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle fit.

Recruitment and filling positions is like a jigsaw puzzle - you put all the pieces and see which ones fit the best. Sometimes it is a teaching couple in your areas, sometimes it is two singles, sometimes a family. For most schools, Shawanda, there is no mandate to hire "only" teaching couples. But I can tell you that for small schools with 200 students, hiring two single teachers, each with a housing allowance, can eat the tuition costs of 2 students - 1% of the student body, just on extras, not counting salary.

Those are things that teachers don't have to consider, but that directors, who do the hiring, have to reconcile with the board and financial manager to stay within budget range. However, any good school will have a range/mix of couples, singles,and singles with dependents, with the most important priority being the best teacher first, the best fit second, and when there is no clear first, second coming into play more.

secondplace

Post by secondplace »

If I couldn't get a visa for D, then they're straight off the list.

E would be intriguing. Would add capacity to the school as they might want to step back 'up' again.

A to C could be equally attractive. But let's dig deeper.

B - can they get by on one salary? Not that it's by job to manage their finances for them or tell them what they can afford, but if I know it's possibly going to be a struggle for them do I think they will be happy and commit for longer? Maybe not.

C - could be one of many attractive candidates who are choosing to leave China because of the current . who might otherwise not be. Timing could mean that other ships have sailed and we get to employ them as other jobs have filled...

A - If my school is looking to increase our diversity - in colour, age, gender, nationality etc - and this person helps with that, then maybe they zoom up the list.

vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

e, a, b, c, d.