Turkey- a new dawn

Turkey- a new dawn

Postby counselme » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:36 pm

How are teachers feeling about taking a two year contract in Istanbul or Izmir after the last years' violent unrest?
Would you still go? Teachers have been there in 2016 and now, what is your advice to prospective teachers thinking of moving to Turkey?
counselme

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Postby Simplewords » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 am

If you are a single person and not easily made nervous, then perhaps you can handle being here. I have lived/taught in Istanbul through the events of the past year. The fallout for the international teacher is this: 1) you will be nervous anytime you go by a group of soldiers/police, and there are more of them now, 2) you will be "aware" anytime you're stuck in a crowd, say at a traffic light, 3) your family/friends back home will be very anxious for you and you will find yourself having to let them know you're ok more than you'd like, 4) if you're from the USA know that the Turkish equivalent of FOX News is trying to ramp up public sentiment against Americans, and; 5) people who might come visit you in other places won't want to come.

Istanbul and the Turkish people are just lovely, but I can't say I'd recommend coming here at the moment.
Simplewords

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:54 pm

I would agree with @Simplewords, if you can keep a low profile and keep your head down with your finger on the local pulse , you likely wont have any serious problems. Your friends and family will suffer worry worst than you likely will.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby washisan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 am

I was working in Istanbul in 2016. I never really felt my life was in danger, except when I had to run home during the night of the military coup. Anything could have happened that night!
I'll just tell you what I've heard from a wise man: "it always when it is already too late that you realize you should have left earlier".
washisan

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Postby PsyGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 am

@washisan

Teacher card, I am appropriating that quote as my own.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby agreed2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

In terms of safety I am feeling better here than I have since 2016. Things have really calmed down since the coop attempt and the US embassy doesn't hardly send out safety notifications anymore. You would still need to be aware in big crowds but I honestly feel relaxed here. The issue now is more so that the economy isn't doing well and Turkish people feel pessimistic about the situation and some schools have started to pay less or give housing in local currency.
agreed2

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 am

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests