Jailed Teacher in Qatar!

Jailed Teacher in Qatar!

Postby Mike » Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 am

A Nepalese teacher fired from a prestigious secondary school in Qatar for remarks he made to students last month appeared in a lower Doha court today on charges of insulting Islam.

Dorje Gurung, who taught chemistry at Qatar Academy, was seen by Doha News this morning leaving the court in handcuffs. If convicted, Article 256 of the Penal Code stipulates that he could face up to seven years in jail.

Colleagues, friends and students interviewed by Doha News said Gurung, whose two-year teaching contract was set to expire in July, had been facing problems at QA with students who did not respect his authority, in part due to his nationality.

Two of Gurung’s friends at the courthouse shared with Doha News notes of the teacher’s account of what happened. Here is a summary:

Fateful week

On Monday, April 22, Gurung said he had a sit-down chat with three 12-year-old boys who were making fun of him. Among other things, the seventh graders poked fun at his appearance, calling him “Jackie Chan,â€
Mike

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:18 am
Location: Europe

Postby higgsboson » Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 am

See how these schools will screw you over or more likely in this case not lift a finger to help. I bet the admin at Qatar Academy are hiding in their mouse holes right about now. You won't hear a peep out of them.

You can bet the entire time this guy was being bullied, QA admin did little or nothing to stop it and they will do little or nothing to help him now. Admin are in my experience generally ball-less individuals.
higgsboson

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 am

Qatar

Postby Roberto » Thu May 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Exactly! Where are the adminstrators. We need their names and they should be held accountable by all of us for what they have done or in this case refused to do. Please let us know. To leave a teacher out in the cold like that is a crime beyond reprehension. Keep us posted!!! If this is true we should call a full boycott by all international educators to refuse to work in Qatar.
Roberto

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 am

Postby higgsboson » Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Dr. Eric Sands is the Director of Qatar Academy and one of the goals he identifies is:

2. Building a stronger sense of community within Qatar Academy

I guess that sense of community doesn't extend to teachers from Nepal who get on the wrong side of a paying student. My guess is, Dr. Sands is hiding in his office until this whole thing blows over.

Better than a boycott, lets all apply for and accept jobs in Qatar and then never show up.
higgsboson

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 am

Postby WiseTeach » Thu May 09, 2013 3:36 pm

This should be a post that does not die... every international educator should endeavor to write to the admin. at this school lodging an intent to boycott the school. Letters should be written in forums that clients of the school might read. I like the idea of applying for a job there and not showing up.

However, surely there are more effective strategies at this point...

Ideas?
WiseTeach

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Postby WiseTeach » Thu May 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Just did a short bit of research... Doha Academy is tied to Texas A&M No surprise there with accepted racism. A Dr. Todd Kent is on the board of directors.
WiseTeach

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Postby Michelle » Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I just found Eric Sand's school email address through a Google search. He is the director of Qatar Academy and he would probably like to hear our thoughts on this subject.

esands@qf.org.qa
Michelle

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am

Postby PsyGuy » Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Theres always some kind of nonsense going on in the ME, ME=hole. Why bother with a region and location with these problems. Youd never have such a thing happen in EU or Japan. Though i know one teacher who was jailed briefly in Thailand for insulting the crown. His confinement was for a weekend and they used the kid gloves on him. The only reason the ME even gets teachers at all is the money, offer enough money and admin and the schools can do anything they want. They just up the salary until they get people to apply.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby noseyparker » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Deleted
Last edited by noseyparker on Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby AnnieT » Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm

[quote="noseyparker"]Deleted.[/quote]

You posted on another thread that you were thinking of running and that the Head would soon be "Out the door"

Would you like the world to keep quiet about the teacher who is in jail until you have done your runner and left him there.
Last edited by AnnieT on Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby noseyparker » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Deleted
Last edited by noseyparker on Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby AnnieT » Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 pm

On a serious note, you should contact ISR and ask them to delete your earlier posts, now that you have come out as a teacher in the school you are easily identified.

I would hate the next headline about a jailed teacher to be about you and your spouse

Postby PsyGuy » Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 pm

In the past when a contributor has wanted to delete their posts its accepted practice for the writer to replace the text and heading with "deleted".

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby noseyparker » Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Postby AnnieT » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 pm

I do not know your school, but if it is Arab owned you should delete all posts now that you can be identified.

This thread has 459 views and the other one has more.

I know that 100 of the views belong to me a Psy Guy but you only need one idiot(there are some idiots on the interweb apparently) to contact the owners and you have no rights.

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 30 guests