Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:29 pm
Topic: Thoughts on Search Online Fairs

Re: Thoughts on Search Online Fairs

Though I have relatively fond memories (especially compared to the COVID present) from my past Search fairs, I am completely at a loss regarding whether I should sign up for their virtual fair(s) this fall because unlike the old in person fairs, so far at least, the virtual fairs are not posting whi...
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 am
Topic: ISS Fairs

Re: ISS Fairs

I have the same question because so far there is no clarity on themes for the ISS fairs other than that they are happening and candidates should sign up. I don't see how any of these agencies are doing in person fairs for at least a year, so I would also like more guidance on what will happen with t...
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Topic: Job Cuts

Re: Job Cuts

I hope I am wrong, but from what I gather, many schools are going to be closed for months and use this as an opportunity to completely clean house. Outsource to online/shared platforms for 2020-2021, and then hire all new IF we can come back in 2021-2022. Think about it from the parent perspective: ...
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 am
Topic: Job Cuts

Job Cuts

I overheard my head say that with us going online for the foreseeable future, it's likely that 20% of staff will be cut between now and July and that some courses may stay online even when we return in an effort to cut costs. I think cost-conscious schools are using this pandemic to radically transf...
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am
Topic: Who'd You Rather?

Who'd You Rather?

If you are a recruiter, and considering both current events and the appalling lack of diversity in staffing at many international schools worldwide, who'd you rather hire (in order of preference) to fill your remaining open positions for the 2020-2021 school year? a) a single educator of color (tren...
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 pm
Topic: Search, China, and Reneging

Re: Search, China, and Reneging

funteacher, what do you teach? How do you know COVID-19 will be gone in a few months? You are operating on a normalcy bias. I know about that, because I am actually educated, not indoctrinated. Maybe COVID-19 will disappear in a few months, but maybe it will be worse than ever and killing thousands ...
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 am
Topic: Situation in China

Re: Situation in China

I would not touch China with a ten mile pole!
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 am
Topic: Search, China, and Reneging

Re: Search, China, and Reneging

Here you are more worried about Search's view of you than your life?! Who cares what Search thinks? Pull out of China today.
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm
Topic: Pet peeve of mine

Re: Pet peeve of mine

PG,

Spare me. Honesty is always the best policy in a process like this. A joyous Christmas to you!
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm
Topic: Pet peeve of mine

Re: Pet peeve of mine

Add to the peeves when a recruiter simply lies and say he/she has chosen to go in another direction and as a result selected another candidate for the position....and then a few days later the position is re-listed with a new application due date!
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Topic: Has Winter Break Already Started?
Views: 1943

Has Winter Break Already Started?

I have noticed a big drop in interview/outreach activity from schools in the last week. Not just to me, but to other teachers I am close to/work with. Are winter break festivities distracting admin this time of year and for those like me is it just a "to be continued" situation until school is back ...
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm
Topic: A contract with a car?

A contract with a car?

I started dating someone last school year at my school who is currently interviewing for principal positions. He has had a few interviews and I was shocked when he told me a couple of the packages came with cars! But he was completely unfazed by this. Is a car typical for certain positions? Are ther...
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:58 pm
Topic: Rio and EARJ

Re: Rio and EARJ

misty, girl, yes, but, luckily, now, one flew east, one flew west, and this one flew over and out of that cuckoo's nest #forevs
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:17 pm
Topic: Planning ahead. How can I become an IT in Germany?

Re: Planning ahead. How can I become an IT in Germany?

All of my American friends in Germany can't wait to get out because of the sick tax situation. It actually explains a lot about Germans' masochism that they put up with it, but it's completely off the hook for expats there.