American School of Lima (Peru)

windorama

American School of Lima (Peru)

Post by windorama »

Does anyone have any idea why there are so many vacancies for the 08-09 school year?
Its obviously a red flag to me, but I thought that this was a well respected school, with a good international reputation?!
Thanks!
maxsaidno

Reading Between the Lines

Post by maxsaidno »

I'm replying to this thread as an experienced international teacher; I've worked in Asia and S. America for the past 8 years.

If a school is posting a lot of vacancies, it means two things:
a) there is either a large number of teachers who are leaving after multiple years at the school.
b) the school has real problems.

I've had six friends who have worked at the school, and all completed two year contracts and moved on. They all cited the lazy nature of the students, and the fact that Lima was a hard city to live in.

People might respond to this post, refuting either claims I've made above, which is normal. Some will be offended that I characterized the students as lazy, and others will say that Lima and Peru are great places; like everything on this website, keep in mind that it is opinion-generated, and I'm just reporting what six different people told me.

For what it's worth, I turned down a job offer with this school three years ago for these reasons:
1) The school couldn't answer a direct question about safety in Peru.
2) They refused to give any characterization of the student body.
3) They were iffy about nailing down the specifics of the financial package.

Whatever you do, don't take a job over the phone; wait until the job fair and interview face to face with an emploter.
Mike

having fun

Post by Mike »

I am a current teacher here in Lima. I think the main reason why there are so many vacancies is that we have to give notice early and that our head does a good job of getting quality canidates before the fairs. Most of the people I know leaving have been here for 4+ years. That said so far Lima has been a great school for us!

1) Lima sure seems safe, there is a huge disparity between wealthy and poor though.. The food here is the best!!

2) The school does have a lot of Spanish speakers. Are they all lazy? Heck no! Is this a true interational school? I am not sure.

3) The staff is the most fun I have ever worked with, after 4 other international schools. Basketball on Tuesday, Ultimate frisbee Wed, soccer on Friday, Softball on Saturday. Teacher rock band, cheap beer.

4) Peru is amazing for travel!

5) Same time zone as USA, lots of good TV on satellite, great house 5 minutes walk to school

I am glad we moved. I like it here as do most of my colleagues.
windorama

Post by windorama »

Mike - I have a few questions for you about FDR - if you could email me, that would be very much appreciated - windorama@hotmail.com
Thanks.
Pike

Re: Reading Between the Lines

Post by Pike »

[quote="maxsaidno"] [i]I'm replying to this thread as an experienced international teacher; I've worked in Asia and S. America for the past 8 years.

If a school is posting a lot of vacancies, it means two things:
a) there is either a large number of teachers who are leaving after multiple years at the school.
b) the school has real problems.[/i]
[/quote]
c) The school is expanding/ growing

[quote="maxsaidno"]
[i]People might respond to this post, refuting either claims I've made above, which is normal. Some will be offended that I characterized the students as lazy, and others will say that Lima and Peru are great places; like everything on this website, keep in mind that it is opinion-generated, and I'm just reporting what six different people told me[/i].[/quote]

Great point, what isone person's heaven is another's hell :twisted:

[quote="maxsaidno"]
[i]Whatever you do, don't take a job over the phone; wait until the job fair and interview face to face with an emploter. [/i] [/quote]

Another great point,.. I chose my last post through a telephone interview and we discussed benefits via email. When we receive the contract & first paycheck,.. the lies and denials came pouring out.

<--Pike----
Without hope, there is only despair!