Dual citizen question

rickkane

Dual citizen question

Post by rickkane »

I'm interested in applying to several schools in the EU. On several applications they ask about your passport(s). I'm a dual U.S./EU citizen and am wondering if there is anything I need to be worried about if I declare my EU passport...mainly taxes. Would it be illegal to not mention my EU passport and work on my U.S. passport? Has anyone ever had this issue? Thanks!
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

If I were you, I would ask a lawyer, but I would also think that it would be in your interests to declare your EU citizenship, as it would make you a much easier hire for a lot of schools. You should probably be checking in with a tax lawyer anyway, as far as the US is concerned. Even if you don't make enough to owe something, there is a form you have to send in to declare your earnings out of the country and you have to be non-resident in a legal sense not to pay US taxes, which is actually harder than you might think. You will save your self future headaches by doing some homework about your specific situation. I am a dual citizen and I have inadvertently goofed up and it isn't fun. Good luck.
rickkane

Thanks

Post by rickkane »

Thanks for the reply! I'm still not sure how I'll proceed. I guess that it depends on where the school is located. It might actually be better in some instances to be hired as a local-hire due to generous country-specific pension plans, etc. I'll have to do my homework.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You have to declare your citizenship status, including your passports, its a legal/immigration issue. An EU passport will open a lot of doors for you in WE, and there is no downside to disclosing being a dual citizen in this case.

Depending on your EU country your tax liability varries. Even if you get the Foreign tax credit your supposed to file your income tax. I personally dont, I dont owe taxes, so i doubt the government cares.