Newbie's impressions of Search and the London Fair

shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Pippa, this is awesome! I think you have just raised the bar again! Now I will be tuning in each evening to see how London is doing through your eyes :-)

Good luck - BTW where in Canada are you coming from? BC/AB/NWT here...
Stellagirlcat

Post by Stellagirlcat »

how far in advance of the fair did you get the emails of the recruiters?
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Not even looking for job, but I find these "fair diaries" irresistible.

Thanks for your efforts, pippafruit and shadow jack.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Pippafrit, I agree with Trojan that these blow-by-blow accounts are "irresistible." Real-time, real-life experiences--and both of you write well and with voice. Wish you all the best!
pencil

Post by pencil »

Thank you Pippafrit! Shadowjack and YOU are helping me immensely prepare for Cambridge! The very best of luck to you! Eagerly awaiting your daily posts...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Well, I learned another new thing. I need to go and check my email, but I don't believe I got a list of recruiters and emails. That would have been very handy!

I love how you have got yourself organized - much better than I did!

Good luck at the fair and keep us posted!
inman

Post by inman »

This is fantastic Pippafrit. I will be following with great anticipation, just as I was for Shadowjack's day by day account of Bangkok. My fingers are crossed for you.

Once again, this kind of sharing is what, to me, this site should be about. Massive thanks for continuing the culture of sharing.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Agree - thanks for the informative post. Those questions seem standard, although the one about demanding parents gave me a red flag. If I was asked that I would turn it back on them and ask, "Is this a problem at your school?"
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Eating up every bit, Pippafrit. Nice post.

These fair diaries are the meat and potatoes of what the IT documentary will be about.

;-)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sounds like you have started off well! I used to teach in Alberta too, up in the Peace country, when I first started out.

Just looking at the schedule - WOW! They pack the fair events into a shorter time period than in Bangkok! The first day in Bangkok was registration, indications of interest via slips in school folders, and presentations. The sign up for interviews was on the second day of the fair.

This is all packed into ONE day for the London Fair! Whew! I think, looking at this, I am glad I went to Bangkok instead of London...

It is still the same number of days, but one more day is allocated to official interviews.

I suspect that London sees more hiring done than Bangkok, given a look at this schedule.

Anyways, Pippa, GREAT posting - keep it up and good luck on your job hunt!
Lopaka

Post by Lopaka »

Thanks for your posts, Pippa.
I secured my position without attending a fair, but the thought of attending one so had me a bit scared....having read so many posts on the uber competitiveness, the "meat-market" environment, etc., etc,
To read your words and those of Shadowjack, I think I have a more realistic view of what to expect and should I attend one in the future I will go with confidence and your posts in notebook.

Thanks for taking the time to write and share.
Hoping we get similar postings from all the fairs...would be nice to look at similaities and differences. Anyone up for sharing Toronto? Cambridge? San Francisco?