Khazakstan: Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools

traveler

Khazakstan: Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools

Post by traveler »

Has anyone worked here? Any advice or comments about teaching at these schools?
Also Anything I need to bring or be aware of living in Khazakstan?
Thanks.
traveler

Anyone?

Post by traveler »

Does anyone know about Khazakstan? If not about the school just in general about the country? What to bring and what they may not have available there? I have lived overseas a few years so i know generally what to bring for myself but do not know much about availability of things in Khazakstan.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Was only there for a few days, but imports are very expensive, and have very limited selection. You can find most of the basics if your not brand loyal and dont mind using local options. I couldnt find a decent mouthwash, or contact lens solution. I didnt need it but the deodorant was all the roll-on type.
sapphire

Second hand Info

Post by sapphire »

I was talking to a colleague of mine about Kazakhstan just the other day...

She said that she knows a teaching couple that works for QSI and were posted in Kazakhstan. In a nutshell, they wanted to leave, but QSI kept denying their transfer. They stayed because they liked working for QSI. Four years later, they finally got transferred out.

As far as the advertisement is concerned, I noticed that you have to work five and a half days. Kind of a deal breaker for me, as I was initially interested...
traveler

Post by traveler »

I have a feeling it will be a bigger workload then my current school. I have seen several videos and read about the country but no real info on my school in particular. I do think the school year is a bit longer too.
Thanks for the comments.
redster

Post by redster »

Kaz is a not a bad place to live. Almaty and Astana offer an increasingly European quality of life. The provincial cities mentioned however would require a strong desire to get into the culture. The salary mentioned would be very comfortable, the idea of bringing kids in without the option of one of the international schools would be a concern to me. Kazakhs are wonderful and friendly once you are a part of their community. Diet is largely meat based and winters can be long and cold. If you are a northerner, especially from a city, you could enjoy the climate and surroundings. If you are a fair weather person who is not accustomed to crowds and pollution you might never get your feet under you here. Working in a Kazakh school would require patience and an acceptance of things needing to be done a certain way because that is the way it is done. I have met a student from one of these schools and if she is an example then the kids should be fabulous.
PsyGuy

Summary

Post by PsyGuy »

Personally, I tend to avoid countries that end in "stan".
traveler

Post by traveler »

Thanks for the info "redster" This is about what I am expecting. My bigger concern will be academic materials. What is available there? Should I plan on bringing as much as I can with me or should I plan on buying there? They do give $2000 for shipping but I would then have to pay this to return my things on my own at the end of contract. Good info to consider.
redster

Post by redster »

I don't know what the schools would have in terms of supplies. If they are being supplied specially then they would have supplies. If they aren't then the supplies would be limited to local items, which would not be something that I can describe, as I have not been in one of the these schools. Also, the six day week would not necessarily mean teaching all day everyday of the six day week. I really think that this would be something that you need to approach with "eyes wide open", if you are expecting anything like an American lifestyle, then don't placement outside of Almaty will be tough. If you are ready for an big scary adventure then go with it.
kazpat

Post by kazpat »

Hi traveler,

I have taught in Kazakhstan for the last two years and will be starting at a NIS in August. I agree with much of what redster has to say. If you are open minded and respectful of your local colleagues you should have no problems. My experience with Kazakh students has been wonderful and I expect those that gain admission to a NIS will be great to work with.

I live in a provincial city and redster is spot on, be ready to live without much of an expat scene but I would not call the adventure scary. :) We have a large shopping mall, restaurants, a bunch of night clubs, supermarkets etc. I can get everything I need locally. Some Russian or Kazakh will be necessary for day to day life in most cities. Allot of what is written on the internet about KZ is by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Acclimating to local culture will take time but if you can do that then life here is good.

A couple things to be aware of, I am sure that NIS will brief you but it doesn't hurt to let you know now.

1) always carry your passport and migration card with you (if you are American, think the US embassy can provide a notarized copy) because police can and will check.

2) As a foreigner you will stand out and be noticed, especially in a smaller city, be mindful that how you comport yourself in public will be talked about. In a small city everyone will know who you are, I try to remember that I am a guest in Kazakhstan and try to behave in a respectful and mature manner. Being a teacher at a NIS will require this even more so.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions or if you know what city your headed to I might be able to put you in touch with someone who is there.
redster

Post by redster »

Great post Kazpat. Didn't mean scary in the bad sense, more the rollercoaster type of scary, you'll come out fine, but there will be some "fun" along the way.
bang

Re: Summary

Post by bang »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Personally, I tend to avoid countries that end in "stan".[/quote]

What is that supposed to mean?
Kazakhstan has brought me my best travel memories and given me my best friends for life. Standards of education are high if I judge by the friends I have met in Russia coming from there.

And I absolutely loved being in Kirghistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.
Wonderful people all over the place.

So what do you mean???
dpurple

Post by dpurple »

Bang: What do you mean by "what do you mean"?? We all know countries ending in "stan" are a joke. Of course we can have great memories, times and experiences in such countries, but that doesn't take away the reality of such places.
bang

What do you mean?

Post by bang »

[quote="dpurple"]Bang: What do you mean by "what do you mean"?? We all know countries ending in "stan" are a joke. Of course we can have great memories, times and experiences in such countries, but that doesn't take away the reality of such places.[/quote]

Still, what do you mean?
True, I haven't lived in Kazakhstan but in Russia, including Tatarstan by the way, and I have done numerous trips to the -stan and met wonderful people. In particular Kazakhstan has a good educational system, not too much corrupted by Western values yet. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

Its my personal rule/philosophy and works for "me". Honestly id explain, but to do so would just cause someone to complain and the post would be removed/vanished.