How do you handle a not-so-wonderful stint?

Candycane

Post by Candycane »

I hate my life right now. I have been here a year and a half and I am just unhappy. This just isn't the placement for me. It's not a terrible match since I like my job and most of my colleagues. I just don't have a good life outside of work and I am just struggling through it right now.

I've been here a year and a half. I have six more months left. I know I'm not the only who has ever been in this position. So....what did you do? I'll feel better if someone else shares that has experienced the same.

Misery loves company :wink:

I tried to post a poll, but it didn't work. So, here's my generic poll below.

A-Just ride it out
B-Exercise
C-Drink
D-Obsessively look for a new post
E-Other (Please specify below)
marlow

Stick It Out

Post by marlow »

Dear Candycane,
I worked at one point at a not-so-great spot; one new teacher left at Christmas of our first year, and two couples broke contract during my second year. It's hard, but my advice would be to stick it out and resolve to leave when your contract is up. The individuals who broke contract had a hard time getting good jobs; like it or not, the international world is small when it comes to administrators, and it has been my experience that people who break contract tend to have a hard time getting a job at top schools. You don't want to break contract and leave one bad situation for another.

What made my situation frustrating was that I had left a good school and landed in a poor one; when I left the poor one, however, I ended up back in a great school.

My advice would be to make the best of it and start to work towards recruiting and a brighter future. I played a lot of golf during that time, and tried to really explore the region I was in. Make the most of the people whom you enjoy, and travel whenever possible to get away from the aspects of your posting you dislike.

I sympathize, because I've been there; keep the faith though, because you can get through it!
mathteach

Do what you like and do it often

Post by mathteach »

I also understand what you are going though. It is so depressing even if there are a few things you like (the job itself and some colleagues) overall you have a sense of frustration because you hate where you are --the situation, the country, the administration, etc. Marlow had the right idea. Find something you really like doing, and do it. I found that socializing with the colleagues that I really liked helped me. I had people over for dinner parties, card games, DVD nights. Anything social that put a smile on my face. Finding someone to travel with and traveling to as many places as I could. It's a bit of a strain on the pocketbook, but it was worth it. Sometimes the travel was such that I actually looked forward to coming back! Most of the time it gave me the release I needed.

I kept telling myself that I could do anything, put up with anything for a year (for 8 months, for 6 months) until the time came when I didn't have to put up with it anymore.

And if you haven't done it yet, Get Going On Recruiting For Next Year!!! The Sooner the better!

I know that a lot of people on this site will see themselves in you and totally sympathize, whether from past experience or present, know that you are not alone.

Good Luck.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

D
I was lucky enough to get a job for the following year in Oct., but then i had to "short time" for the rest of the year!
It was tough not to get negative, not that I really needed to convince myself that it was time to move on, but the exit process was very long and drawn out!
Have fun til the end try not to cut yourself off from people too early!
Candycane

Thank you!

Post by Candycane »

Thanks for the responses everybody! I know it may sound silly, but the responses really do make me feel better.
Rover

Re: How do you handle a not-so-wonderful stint?

Post by Rover »

[quote="Candycane"]How do you handle a not-so-wonderful stint?
A-Just ride it out
B-Exercise
C-Drink
D-Obsessively look for a new post
E-Other (Please specify below)[/quote]

Many people have been in similar situations to you due to how international recruitment is handled. Even if you kind of like the place if you know you will be leaving in 6 months it can be strange.

I did all of those things you mentioned but one thing that really helps is travelling. Look forward to the weekends and do something utterly unrelated to your job. Travelling, even if not far, is great. Learn a language. Anything...but have those two days at that end of that week focused on doing on something.

Then...before you know it...it has finished.
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

These are great responses - I'm in a similar situation however working in the US in a public school. In addition to teaching six hours a day with only sporadic planning periods, the police office with guard dogs is right next door to my windowless, freezing room with the spastic aircon! It never gets boring here between the knife fights, mental breakdowns and hair-pulling contests.

Needless to say I'm miserable - only 94 more teaching days but who's counting!

So I take it one day at a time and keep a sense of humor. I'm sooo hoping to find a great job this year teaching internationally!

In spite of it all, I will definitely stick it out to the end of my contract. Good luck to you Candycane!

Lagniappe
leighton1904

gym

Post by leighton1904 »

i like this thread

I had a bad time in Dubai a few years back. Became very isolated.

To remain sane I went to the gym every day and jogged a lot. I also searched obsessively for jobs and found a very good one back in UK.

It was tough but the physical exercise gives you a focus and if you are in good shape you will feel good about everything.

good luck
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiznherz

Lagniappe you made me laugh

Post by hiznherz »

For the original poster, sorry I have no good advice. I spend the most miserable year of my life teaching in an inner city school and I dealt with it by 1 - drinking, 2 - crying, 3 - making my husband miserable. Not great ideas.
Last edited by hiznherz on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pike

Re: Lagniappe you made me laugh

Post by Pike »

[quote="hiznherz"]For the original poster, sorry I have no good advice. I spend the most miserable year of my life teaching in New Orleans and I dealt with it by 1 - drinking, 2 - crying, 3 - making my husband miserable. Not great ideas.

Lagniappe, where do you teach if you don't mind saying? I was at Cohen -- fights everyday, teachers pushed down the stairs, fires, SWAT visits at least once a week, constant chaos, and a batsh@t crazy principal. I can't believe I made it through the year![/quote]

I was born and raised in New Orleans,... are both of you native Orleanians?

For the original poster- I would try some social networking- like join a sports club, walking club, etc.... Really any activity where you meet different people from school people is good. You might want to register with the US embassy/ consulate. They often have social events.

---
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

Yes, I am a Cajun however now I'm teaching in the great state of Texas.