Housing-getting your own place/tourist visas

dmdam0905

Housing-getting your own place/tourist visas

Post by dmdam0905 »

I will be hired as a single person but I need to have housing that will allow me to have my non teaching partner come and stay with me (theoretically on a tourist visa). I cannot figure out the kind of housing offered at each school. It says actual or cash and actual can I guess mean provided on campus or an apartment on campus a house of my own, or a tar paper shack?

I am using the Search Cambridge list, and need to eliminate schools where I could not have my partner live with me. Am I being dense? I have looked on school sites, but found very little specificity. Is this usually the kind of thing you find out at the beginning of a fair as part of the school’s package?

I will work most anywhere… nowhere but Israel in the Middle East… and I am not running off to cholera plagued Zimbabwe at the moment… but I really am keeping an open mind in this my first international job hunt. I don’t have enough savings to risk Western Europe unless they are paying in Euro and even then…

Along those lines, what countries on what continent will most easily issue a tourist visa to an American?

You don’t have to tell me where you are but if you know of any place I would be wasting time and energy on I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance. Answer any part of the post.

One last thing, if there are directors who read these posts, would you please weigh in on the same sex, non teaching partner. Yes, I know there is a worry about her getting bored… but in all honesty would you be happier with a don’t’ ask, don’t tell situation? It is a deplorable policy and I am deeply offended by it on so many levels, but I really would like to know. As long as she doesn't cost you anything do you care? If we pay for her everything...flights, medical insurance, tourist visa, life insurance...
For what it is worth having her with me actually gives you a teacher and a half because of all of the paperwork she can keep organized for me so I can plan lessons and concentrate on teaching in my new world.
kimbop

tourist visas

Post by kimbop »

As for what countries will most easily issue a tourist visa to an American - I can't think of any that won't. However, tourist visas are usually only good for a certain number of days. In some countries it's 30 days and in others it's 90 days. So, she'll have to leave the country before it expires and come back to renew it.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

You should be able to get a dependent (non work) visa for a spouse. One of my friends even got this visa for his girlfriend from the Pakistani Government. I also know people who have an unrelated nanny with them listed as a dependent. The expenses might be yours, but they should be able to do the paperwork and make it happen. Corporate people all have their families with them.
If it seems that you will not be able to get a dependent visa then you need to ask about the costs of leaving the country every 3 months or so to renew her visa. It may be simple and cheap or not worth it depending where you are. You can sometimes plan these renewals around vacations to make them more fun, but remember it is one thing to go from Brastislava to Vienna and another to have to fly from Japan to Korea. Sometimes you can just go in and out of the border crossing but some countries require trips to the embassy and a wait of several days. Do your homework.
Some crappy schools actually bring their staff in on "tourist visas" and have them go out and come back every few months. Good luck.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Sorry wanted to talk about housing. As a single hire you will probably be given smaller housing. In a third world country you still may get a house. Some schools hold long term leases or own places hopefully near the school (ask). If the school has crappy housing you are stuck! You basically inherit the classroom and apt.

Some schools will give an allowance and put you up while you work with a realtor to find a place. You may choose to go more out of pocket to upgrade.

I prefer actual housing because the rent is the schools responsibility and it is not my lease. Usually the schools agree to bumps in rent and landlords would like long term tenants from the school so they are pretty good. If the school has an allowance I would check the rents and ask to email a teacher there before you sign.

I would not recommend taking a job with a big commute or one where they send the teachers back and forth by school bus. Many schools have pictures of a typical teacher's apt on their websites or will have slides at the job fair presentations. Hope this helps.