Thailand schools

fredn56

Thailand schools

Post by fredn56 »

It looks likethe reviews of Thailand schools are really mixed. Is there a concensus on which ones are good, bad, and tolerable?
I have been contacted by RIST about an interview.
ANy feedback, special issues to consider? :?:

Post by Guest »

There are many 'International' schools now operating in Thailand as the law was changed a few years ago. Unlike many countries, the majority of students in the schools are Thai not expats. There are horror stories about quite a few of these schools, including so-called 'Christian' ones. There was a forum, thaischoolwatch, but it has just closed down. You could try the forum on Ajarn.com, but this is mainly for TEFL teachers. A rough first guide as to the status of the school will be the salary. The top schools pay over 100 000 baht a month (up to 150 000), others pay 40000-60000 a month.
travelinchica

APIS in Chiang Mai, Thailand?

Post by travelinchica »

Hey y'all,

Anyone heard about Asian Pacific International School in Chiang Mai? I've been contacted by them, but I am afraid that they are one of the bad ones..?

Thanks!

Jocy

Post by Guest »

APIS is a good school Keith Wacker is a GREAT headmaster with good rep from NIST in BK. Problems are you live on campus away from town in a nice apartment with all the other staff and you might get cabin fever. Chang Mai is a lovely place

Ruamrudee I.S.

Post by Guest »

This school is run by Catholic priests of the Redemptorist order. It is a really good school to work for, except for the pay. The pay is CRAP! There has not been a pay raise in the salary scale for going on 10 years. I was able to get a hold of the pay/benefits packet from the recent ISS Bangkok fair. It said that the savings potential is 30%, which is absolutely untrue! Teachers here are dipping into their savings to afford to live here. Also, we take a huge tax hit.

It's really too bad, because the school environment is nice. The students are great and other teachers are very helpful and for the most part team oriented.

They are talking about giving a raise the fall of 2007, but many of us fear that it will be too little too late. They seem not at all bothered by that fact that the majority of the foreign teachers leave after their initial 2 year contract. The feeling, which unfortunately is true, is that they can always get teachers because people will always want to teach in Thailand. Personally this make me really sad because I'd hoped to settle here for awhile at least. But if there is not a substantial raise in pay, I just can't afford to do so.
ron

CONSENSUS? ISE EASTERN SEABOARD

Post by ron »

It would be impossible to get a consensus, because the teachers' experiences, qualifications and expectations are so different.

I have some knowledge about ISE on the Eastern Seaboard. I understand tthat the pay is pretty good, the administration is crap, and if you have any professional integrity it will be be difficult go to work every day and deal with the lackies and profit minded administrators. My close friend knows this from first-hand experience. A real professional teacher would hate it there. The contracts are vague, if not confusing, and now it looks like the tax free two years for Americans is a thing of the past.

But if you just want money and don't mind incompetence, it would be a great place.
deb

ISE

Post by deb »

Couldn't have said it better myself :roll:
FRANK

ISE (INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL EASTERN SEABOARD)

Post by FRANK »

EVERYTHING ABOVE ABOUT ISE IS TRUE. STAY AWAY.
guest4

where is school located?

Post by guest4 »

HI: are we talking about Ron Schultz? Is this the same person who started out at The American School of Kinshasa in the 1980's? Where exactly is this school located, size, etc.
Deb

ISE

Post by Deb »

Same Ron Schultz!

If you want to be on your knees or treated like a sewer rat, come on down. You'll have a blast here! We are located near Pattaya and we are a stagnant community of 380. If you want an excellent paycheck, and don't mind seeing your associates with a pang of conscience thrown out like garbage, this is the place for you!
golfguy

INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL EASTERN SEABOARD

Post by golfguy »

PLEASE NOTE: THIS INFORMATION WAS ALSO SUBMITTED AS A SCHOOL REVIEW TO THE ISR WEB SITE. IT WAS SUBMITTED WITH THE COVERAGE DATE UP TO, AND INCLUDING, 2008. ISR CORRECTED THIS TO READ 2007.

Live like a king on a teachers salary! This school is a great place to be, as a student or a teacher. With over 12 years of stability and thousands of satisfied students and parents, it is a school that has a strong sense of direction, a loyal and caring community dedicated to academic rigor, and every year it improves. We have fresh new staff joining the secondary and elementary, and a promising new, energetic elementary principal who will take ISE out of the past and into a new era. The secondary school is mangaged deftly by the strong, consistent leadership of Dr. Brewitt who has guided the ship since the beginning. Like any great school, our faculty is comprised of loyal, satisfied employees who are long-term residents of the host country, some with local family ties, as well as many who come to ISE from other international schools abroad. All of them are appreciated, and the financial compensation is excellent for a teacher who is competent and flexible enough to handle the ups
and downs of international education. ISE is always advancing the cause of education through its expanding IB and other programs. It probably looks like this is being written by an adminisrator, but that is not the case. It is important to be complete here so I must comment on the one-sided inflammatory postings that dominate this blog.

It is a shame that this web site can be hijacked bya couple of disguntled former "renegade" teachers and their bitter allies who want to hurt the School and its students by trying to prevent good teachers from coming here.
It is well known by parents, students and staff that the two teachers who got fired last year were not willing to carry out their duties, were not "team players", and they thought they could do things their own way seperate from the mission of the school. They were disrespectful to Thai culture (refusing to attend Thai cultural ceremonies, for example). They were anti-social, gossipy, and arrogant.
There were rumors of substance abuse on field trips. But above all, they wanted to get fired probably so they could sue the school, yet in the end, they were legally and lawfully dismissed for breach of contract. They tried to sue the school but their case was groundless and they lost. Now they have started to send threatening letters to the school, and even have been linked to acts of poisoning.
I would not bring this up except to make it clear that a couple of disturbed, vicious individuals can try to kill a good thing, but they will not succeed. They are just fading blips on the radar screen, so please don't let these deranged individuals and their disgraceful efforts defame a good school that has a very bright past, present and future.

True, as anywhere, some staff might not be right for this school, and the leadership is not afraid to pull up a few weeds or separate the wheat from the chaff. Our administrators have always made that clear, but that is what leadership is about. Working for ISE, maybe even living on the beautiful golf resort, you will live like a king on a teacher's salary, and you can take that to the bank! Thank you.