D.R. Congo - anyone been there?

fran

D.R. Congo - anyone been there?

Post by fran »

I'd love to hear from someone that has worked in Kinshasa. Can you tell me about what it is like to live there? Things to do? Safety? Travel opportunities? About the school and admin and students? Thanks Fran
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

There is a sample (free) review on this website for the American School there...

I have local friends that have fled to Canada...their stories about what is occurring in the countryside is beyond demonic!!

I would advise you do your research carefully.
tomtec

working in DRC-Kinshasa-Tasok

Post by tomtec »

Hi,

An update on the reveiw posted on the ISR webpage, we have expereinced some changes for sure.

The principal left at the end of 2007-2008 school year, the whole idea of keeping staff longer did not work out for him and his family? A first sign.
Staff turn-over is still very high, if you take the 2006-2007 yearbook, you will not recognize many familiar staff faces, except for the local hires and missionaries. Same scenario this year, 8 HS staff members will leave, and anticipation is that at the end of the 2008-2009 year the whole ES staff is leaving, plus PE staff?
Despite good initiatives from admin and board, including salary raise, working in DRC is a financial disaster.

Tasok hired a maintenance manager, he and his staff are doing a great job, you really spot the difference. But infrastructure is old, campus looks like a botanical garden, pool was built in 71, bamboo is covering the tennis court,... guess it will take some time and tough decisions.

Administration and IT dept are working hard, never forget you live in a 'war zone'. Set realistic expectations, and go with the flow. They will do the impossible, and the introduction of electronic banking certainly helps to control a budget?

The appartments on campus are ok, but no TV, limited kitchen equipment, no micro, ... things are for sale in Kinshasa, but all overpriced!
The botanical garden is inviting for musquitos, black flies, bugs, so bring spray!!!

The school is an ideal place for 2 years, if you want to finish a PhD, e-learning, write a book, learn a new language, sabaticcal year, spend time with your famly, work out, .... but I can recommend better places to do so.

Nightlife, restos, bars, movies, clubs downtown are worth exploring, challenging for 1 year? Golf, watersports, tennis clubs are very expensive!

You can buy everything in Kinshasa, but not on a Tasok salary. Make sure you bring EVERYTHING, so you can survive.

There is no public transportation, you can rent school cars, very expensive. You feel locked in, the walls are for your safety, but you feel like escaping once and a while.

Traveling through the country is not safe and too expensive, the roads are impossible.

In short, wait if DRC stays stable for 2 more years, let the Superintendent finish her work (she really makes a difference!), and reconsider the adventure! I hope she stays on until her duaghter grauates in 2011.

Teaching here is great, very pleasant students, and you can really do your thing. Parents are realistic!

You can read about the situation in DRC on www.congoforum.be, enjoy!

Cheers,

Tomtec