QSI Bishkek

grumpyvb1

QSI Bishkek

Post by grumpyvb1 »

I applied to a position in Bishkek with QSI. At first the company seemed decent. After reading posts here coupled with my conversations with the hiring consultant, I am wary. They are obviously in great need of filling this position. My husband is a defense contractor at the Air Base in Bishkek. However, his contract is unaccompanied and he lives in a dorm on base. I do not live there, nor can I. I do not intend to move there without this position. However, QSI wants to hire me a s local hire and not pay any benefits. Also, they asked my references about the length of my marriage and if I had any children. This violates federal law, doesn't it? Please reply if you can provide any info. I can't find any posts specifically about Bishkek on this forum. Thank you so much for any information. I am very torn.
scribe

federal law?

Post by scribe »

Hi - I don't know much about QSI, but for what it's worth, federal law doesn't mean anything when dealing with international schools. Have you explained to QSI that you NEED to be hired as a foreign hire, including housing, etc.? My current school had hired 'singles' who are in fact connected to military spouses under similar conditions, but they knew the situation thus offered housing, etc. On the other hand, we have been at schools where couples attempt to "double dip" - take actual housing from one spouse and housing allowance from another - this may be what QSI is trying to avoid. Be honest with them going in about all your requirements and situation - that way, if you get the position there are no surprises and if you don't, well, no loss, right?
puka2

Post by puka2 »

hi,
Over the past year I have met several teachers from this school and they are busy and happy. There will be a new director next year. QSI is fair. They, like everyone else, need to worry about $. Like the last reply, make sure they really heard you and understand your situation. Tell them you want to keep your family together and can't without the housing. They hire a lot of people for worldwide placement. You also may negotiate and forgo the insurance or tickets if you don't need them due to your husband's position. Being a foreign hire you also would get tuition for kids, that is probably why they are asking.
All overseas schools ask some personal questions. QSI also tends to look for wholesome family oriented types that won't be noticed as wild partiers in these small communities. All international schools are somewhat interested in a couple's "Dynamic". I have seen a few bad breakups during the year and it effects absolutely everything and everyone.
Good Luck. Let us all know what you decide.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

Puka2,

Can I ask, which QSI school are you with? I have friends who were hired to work in Dongguan and they have tons of questions.

Thanks...

Gengrant