Getting into International Schools with little experience

shenshen0212

Getting into International Schools with little experience

Post by shenshen0212 »

Hello all,

I have been working in corporate finance for the past 12 years and has recently decided to pursue a career as an educator. I have been working at a English training center in China for the past 3 months and I really enjoy it. I would like to expand my opportunities and teach in international schools in China.

I have a Bachelor's Degree and an MBA from Canada. My next goal is to complete an online PGCE program. Here are my questions and all opinions and advice are welcome.

1. Does it matter where I get my online PGCE? If not then I will pick the cheapest one. I looked at the University of Nottingham and University of Sunderland, the latter is much more expensive.

2. How hard will it be to get that first job at an international school in China with little to no experience? By the time I apply to an international school, I will be listed in a PGCE program or close to completing it. I won't be too picky in my first placement because getting my foot in the door and gain a few years of experience is more important to me.

Changing career is never easy, but I have a lot to offer to schools and students, and I am willing to go the extra mile to become a good educator. Please share your thoughts with you. Thank you.
sid

Re: Getting into International Schools with little experience

Post by sid »

It will matter to some but not to all where you get the PGCE. Some are biased against the PGCEi as well. This matters less and less as you get more experience, so since you're willing to aim realistically in your first positions, I'd recommend the cheaper route. Once you have 10 years and a couple schools under your belt, it should not be a thing at all.
Good luck.
muinteoir

Re: Getting into International Schools with little experience

Post by muinteoir »

I opted for the Sunderland PGCEi for a few reasons. As far as I can remember, most of them I looked at required you to be already employed in an institution, which I wasn't. The Sunderland course has a teaching practicum block and the Nottingham one doesn't, so I needed this to build experience. The PGCEi can also be used towards the M.Ed. from Sunderland; the Nottingham course cannot be transferred. I'm not sure yet if I'll continue down that path, but it was something to consider.
I was very happy with the Sunderland course and am happy to answer any questions about it should you ever need.