VP/Assistant Principal timing and prospects

healmade

VP/Assistant Principal timing and prospects

Post by healmade »

Hi everyone~

I posted this in the member section under "morrie," but realized that it may fit better here in the public forums.

I started looking for vice principal and assistant principal jobs in early October through Search. It felt like I was already late to the game, but I know that schools will be recruiting teachers through February and later. Since my main goal is to secure an admin position, I have not been sending out applications for teaching positions, yet. This is starting to make me nervous though, so I'm wondering what you think about when I should consider admin recruiting to be done (and therefore, my chances of securing a position nill) and start aggressively applying for teaching positions.

Any advice is much appreciated!
sid

Re: VP/Assistant Principal timing and prospects

Post by sid »

There is still lots of time. Some schools are indeed this quick off the mark, but in plenty of others, people don't have to give notice yet. The wild card is Covid - we are still waiting to see what it will do to recruiting for next year, but my bet is on a chaotic hiring season.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Agree with Sid - hang on to your hat! Also, if you aren't getting nibbles, try going in to a lower-level leadership position and then work your way up.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

ISs can start a search for leadership a year or more in advance. Within cycle recruiting leadership searchs tend to drop after the November SA leadership fair. Were not there yet, but ISs are talking to those they are interested in, but I would generally concur with @Sid theres is still more time than there isnt. You have only been applying for a month though you may want to start thinking of a combined leadership and IT search in the near future. I would also tend to concur with @SJ that you really should be looking at the entire range and pool of leadership vacancies.
healmade

Post by healmade »

Thank you Psyguy/Sid/Shadowjack,

It's definitely feeling like time is running out, but opening up to other leadership roles may be helpful. I will have to start looking through some of the job descriptions of those on Search. Really appreciate the advice!