Accepting a job,

padsnoop

Accepting a job,

Post by padsnoop »

Accepting a job,
Last edited by padsnoop on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest5

Post by guest5 »

Do NOT accept a job and then change your mind if you get a better offer. If you verbally accept an offer, that is considered the same as signing a contract. (Just think how you would feel if a school offered you a job and you accepted and then a month later, the school called you back and said that they had found a candidate that they liked better and therefore were rescinding their offer!) You can tell a school that you are waiting to hear from other schools, but most schools will not hold a job for you for that long. Some schools will give you 24 hours or so, perhaps a bit longer, but most are not going to want to hold a job for you while you wait to hear from other schools.
JISAlum

IMHO..

Post by JISAlum »

I would not tell them you're waiting on another school. That might signal that you don't consider that school a top choice.

I'd sit down and make a prioritized list of what you value in a school. If they first offer clearly does not match the most important criteria, then decline. But be ready to not have any offers at all when it's all said and done.

If this is your first posting, just getting an overseas offer might be a good start.

I agree, you can ask for 24hrs, but longer and you risk pissing off the school and missing out.
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

How would you feel if the school did that to you? "Could you wait around for a month or so while we see if we can find someone better? We'll give you a job if we don't, but in the meantime we'd like you to pass up other opportunities while we look."