Sumatra?

shansar

Sumatra?

Post by shansar »

Well we are looking at a school in Sumatra - Formally -Caltex? Sounds like a great package and they are sure nice but I am not sure what to think? Have any of you ever heard of this school or been to this area? As usual I have questions but no answers! Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
We sure appreciate it. :)
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

Re: Sumatra?

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="shansar"]Well we are looking at a school in Sumatra - Formally -Caltex? Sounds like a great package and they are sure nice but I am not sure what to think? Have any of you ever heard of this school or been to this area? As usual I have questions but no answers! Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
We sure appreciate it. :)[/quote]

When I was at JIS, the Caltex school in Sumatra was well known. It was an oil school- and paid very well. There was nothing to do, and nothing to spend your money on. Teachers used to spend weekends in Singapore. It would be a great place to save a lot of money, and probably a good place to raise small kids. I also think that you're teaching in a small community and living among parents in close proximity.
mexteacher

Caltex School in Pekanbaru

Post by mexteacher »

I believe the school is an ISS school.

I once worked at a hiccup of a school 60 km outside of Pekanbaru. When I first arrived, I flew over from Singapore with a group of Caltex teachers (all in their 30's and 40's with kids). They said they loved working there. I was too inexperienced at the time to ask why though. I did find out however, that all three families were starting their 5th year at the school.

Pekanbaru is not a tourist destination. The Lonely Planet says something like "The only reason to spend the night in Pekanbaru is if you arrive from Singapore too late to catch transport out that day." I don't believe there is much to do around Pekanbaru either. (I know for certain there is nothing to do north of Pekanbaru.)

I have heard, but I can't remember from where, that the package at Caltex is quite good. Extremely high.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Thanks for the information. It does sound like a neat place for a family type atmosphere. I'll have to let you all know how it goes. Thanks a lot for the responses. Sure appreciate it!