Search Associates Fair not recommended

maria

Search Associates Fair not recommended

Post by maria »

I noticed that alot of people were wondering about the various teacher fairs so I thought I would share my experiences.

Search Associates is not worth the money and they have a poor selection of schools to choose from. In addition, John Magagna is rude and barely listens to you.

ISS is very expensive but good in that it has a great selection. However, if you are a new teacher.....be aware that the winter recruitment fairs are very competitive as they get tons of candidates to choose from and it is better to attend the summer one.

I would recommend the UNI Fair in IOWA as it is the least expensive and has a great selection. I wish I had attended that one !
Hope this helps !
me

Re: Search Associates Fair not recommended

Post by me »

May be Search Associates' fair in Cambridge is pretty crowdy and Magagna does not py attention to you a lot
However, London fair organized by Harry Deelman is excellent. He works with all his family there and they are always arround to help you.
The top schools and candidates go there nd you must have IB experience. Nevertheless, there's nothing compared to Cambridge. Just try!
Macedon

Post by Macedon »

I agree. Harry is OK and I do think that despite being a bit of a used car salesman, he is a decent chap. The London Fair was poor. Some have suggested that Search is behind the times and needs to look at how the market is changing. This year COIS had many more schools but some are very questionable.

Good experience at Cambridge

Post by guest »

I was at the Cambridge fair last February-2005 and had a much better experience than at the ISS NY fair a couple of years ago. Dexter was my counselor and he was very helpful. The fair was a bit smaller both in candidates and schools but I liked it that they limit the number of candidates. It wasn't nearly as overwhelming as ISS.

ISS it also SO expensive, how can teachers afford to join AND pay that ridiculously high fee for the fair, also there is NO support from anyone when you are there. It's kind of a racket- IMHO.

Good luck to everyone, teaching overseas can be a great way of life!
good

macedon

Post by good »

I have taught in nine countries. From what I know of Harry Deelman after twenty years working with SEARCH, he is more than a just a a 'decent chap'. He is both knowledgeable and honourable, and works harder than anyone I can think of. He loves the job. I think the term "used car salesman" is most unfortunate. I don't think he is selling anything -least of all used cars.
mnolan

expressing reality

Post by mnolan »

I have heard the same expressed about SEARCH. Perhaps they are just reflecting the reality ofthe true feelings for candidates unlike the Feelgoods at ISS.

Post by Guest »

SEARCH is okay, you get what you pay for, which is access to the databases and a chance to arrange interviews if you go to a fair. Then you're on your own, and if you have what it takes, you'll get a job. It seems like lots of whining comes from the candidates who can't sell themselves, or don't have anything to sell.

ISS is more of a racket, but basically works the same way, with the difference being that you pay much, much more. Why bother?
John

Search

Post by John »

I agree.
Search is okay but when you get to the fair you realize that they have FEW positions available compared to ISS. Plus you still have to pay a fee if you accept a teaching position !!!!!
John Magnana at Search is rather frigid and unpleasant to work with.
Perhaps the other consultants at SEARCH are nicer but I have not had the opportunity to work with them.
ISS is expensive but it seems that there are more schools/jobs to choose from and that is a plus.
Next time I will try the UNI Fair or TIE online.
pete

Search

Post by pete »

Replying to John...

I think Search (Harry Deelman) has fewer openings because they screen both schools and teachers. It is this screening process you are paying for. Perhaps not all the schools or teachers are perfect, but the screening perhaps keeps out the real 'cowboys' (schools and teachers).
Bid

Search fair

Post by Bid »

I just wanted to share my experience with Search Associates. My husband and I attended the Boston Fair this February 2006. As we did not have any experience overseas, our expectations were quite low. We were surprised to find out that the quality of the school was quite high (compared to another fair we had attended). Ray Spark, our associate, was quite helpful in that he really worked for us. He helped set up interviews and ended up helping us get a job. In addition, the fellow candidate were actually :) very friendly. I had heard very bad stories about the 'cut throat' atmosphere of some of the fairs. I did not find that this was the case and in fact quite liked the experience.
Butterfly

Search

Post by Butterfly »

I disagree=
Search is a waste of time and money.
I have been to both Search and ISS Fairs. Sure the teachers who attend are nice and friendly. But that is not why I go there. I go there to find a job.
Search hardly had any positions available and John Magnana is plain RUDE.
Guest678

Post by Guest678 »

At the risk of being called a Search troll, I found that there were a large number of positions available in my fields, I was able to arrange interviews easily, got rock solid advice, and got a terrific position. I recommend them, and will gladly use them again.

Post by Guest »

Gavin Allen of Search NZ/Aust is excellent - friendly, knowledgable, and supportive. I didn't end up going to a Fair though, as I got a job online with a phone interview.
Gavin has continued his support for me even after I got the job. Following recent problems with my contract renewal being withdrawn, he has very quickly responded to my queries.

SEARCH is Great!

Post by Guest »

My husband and I found the SEARCH fair very organized. We received several job offers. Our associate was willing to talk with us at any time and gave great advice. We were both hired at a wonderful school that we are extrememly excited about working at - and in Europe!!
six of the best

fair comment

Post by six of the best »

Why do all you good folks get so wound up about this? Why not apply directly to a school in a country that you want to live in. Then the school knows you are not someone in the fair cattle market. TES of the Uk has 100s of ads where you can directly apply to the school for free. I have got all my jobs by personal contact.
I like Harry D but he and Search never got me a job.
Try the personal letter folks. I just did. And I am short listed for a job at the age of 57.