First time teaching overseas...Any advice on locations?

Amy

First time teaching overseas...Any advice on locations?

Post by Amy »

My husband and I are new to the site and just starting the process to teach abroad in the year 2006-2007. Does anyone have any advice on a location that is good for a first time teaching couple?

Thanks!

Post by Guest »

It depends what you are looking for! If it's to experience a different country, pick an area you fancy and go for it. If you want to save some m oney, the look at the Middle East - it's about the only place teachers get a half-decent salary Overseas.

Post by Guest »

Southeast asia or the Middle east. Both places have many schools that pay pretty well but there are some dodgy schools so do your homework first. In some countries like Indonesia and U.A.E., couples bank one salary and live comfortably off the other. I know one couple who went home with $100,000 in the bank after living overseas for six years, having a child and taking nice vacations in the region.
blakesan

Beginning overseas teaching

Post by blakesan »

Congratulations. You are ready for an extraordinary experience. Get your priorities in order first. City? Country? Hinterlands? Big or small school? Language needs. Family? Communication? Medical or housing needs? A pet?

TIE on line is a good resource for genereal information on schools. University of Norther Iowa also has copious reading material. ISS publshes a very comprehensive book.

I've taught 27 years overseas in Venezuela, Kuwait, and Malaysia. In all, I found MKIS in Malaysia to be the best job I ever had. I stayed 8 years until I was too old for a work permit.

Southeast Asia is a great place to start, especially Malaysia and Thailand. There are plusses and minuses everywhere. Do your research and take a chance!
Good luck!

Post by Guest »

What age is too old for a work permit in Malaysia???

Post by guest »

I say Turkey will hire you but stick to reputable schools. Stay away from Eyuboglu. Good ones are Uskudar, Koc. They are Turkish schools though, not International schools, so you will most likely teach ESL.

Post by Guest »

I have the same question. What is too old?? :shock: