Pets abroad-Any Tips?

raphael

Post by raphael »

ADMIN NOTE: Also see the ISR blog: Going International with Pets.
http://www.internationalschoolsreviewdi ... with-pets/

---------------------

pet owners who want to go overseas - PLEASE READ

1. who will look after your pet when you travel for spring break, long weekends, etc?

2. will your neighbours / colleagues appreciate a barking dog in the apartment next door?

3. if you are going to a third world country - can you feed a pet in good conscience when there are people starving in the ghetto next to your housing complex?

being overseas is different than "regular life" in the united states - there are many things you just have to give up in order to live a life overseas. public libraries and pets are just two of them.
Gemini72

Post by Gemini72 »

Answers:

1. I bring my dog with me on holidays. Everywhere.

2. My dog doesn't bark.

3. Would you feed your child in a third-world country when there are people starving on the street?
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I've been watching this thread and finally decided to throw in my 5 cents.

I am a pet lover. I also made a commitment to my pets when I "adopted" them. One dog and my cat have lived in 4 countries with me and been involved in moves 7 or 8 times. This may not be the right thing to do for all pets. My animals are highly adaptable.

Now regarding living overseas with your pets:

1. Consider if you want your pets to go through a long quarantine. I will not move anywhere that requires a quarantine of more than a week.
2. Consider if you can get good vet care and good quality pet food (although the latter can be substituted with "leftovers").
3. Consider how your pets will be cared for while you travel. Contact teachers from the school you will be going to and ask if anyone has pets and what they do.

I've found that living in southeast Asia, having pets is not a problem. Financially, you should be able to afford a maid. In addition to the monthly salary my maid earns for coming in 3 times a week to clean, I pay her additional money when I go on holiday to live at my house and take care of the dogs and the cat. In fact, her salary is better for pet care than cleaning. Therefore I know my animals are in good hands. The evidence is how well they are when I return from my travels, and also how excited they are to see my maid when she comes to clean. They love her and her kids.

Please don't let other people make you feel guilty about having and feeding a pet in a country where people are impoverished. You can find ways to help your local community. I've discovered that many locals in Thailand really love my dogs and cat. They enjoy the interactions and are impressed with the good behavior and one dog's ability to shake hands. (The interest in the animals is not as food as cynics might think.)

I do agree that you should consider your pet and whether they will do well living overseas. Does your animal have a tendency to mess up the house, tear up the garden or bark a lot? That may make things difficult for you with landlords and neighbors. But if you have well-behaved animals, I say bring them along!
adminpaul

Pets Overseas

Post by adminpaul »

ADMIN NOTE: Also see the ISR blog: Going International with Pets.
http://www.internationalschoolsreviewdi ... -with-pets.