Pets abroad-Any Tips?

magninamy

Pets abroad-Any Tips?

Post by magninamy »

ADMIN NOTE: Also see the ISR blog: Going International with Pets.
http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... with-pets/

_________

My husband and I are just starting the process of teaching abroad and we were wondering if anyone has brought a pet overseas? We have a one year old chocolate lab and would like to bring him with us, however we do not know if this is even an option. If anyone has any information on this topic, please let me know. Flight information with pets? Any countries that don't allow pets or DO allow pets? Etc. Thanks! We appreciate it
katebsn

pets

Post by katebsn »

we movedhalfway across the world with our 2 dogs and a cat! no problem as long as you have the correct paperwork. however we always consider the clmate in a new country when thinking about a move. also the reaction of other dogs in the destination country. we are in south america and the local dogs are not too friendly!

pets and travel

Post by Guest »

We adopted a cat in Romania and moved with the cat to Pakistan without a problem. Be sure to have the correct paper work on your pet and a good cage with plenty of room in it. Also be sure to mark it all over with your new address and a telephone in case it gets lost in transit.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS IN ENGLAND. IF YOUR PLANE GETS DELAYED FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS THEY WILL IMPOUND YOUR PET FOR HEALTH REASONS AND KEEP IT FOR UP TO SIX MONTHS. FOR THIS REASON MANY PET OWNERS AVOID GOING THROUGH ENGLAND WITH THEIR PET.
Beccakinn

Pets and the UK

Post by Beccakinn »

I think the guest reply may include a little misunderstanding :D
The UK does not have rabies, unlike the rest of Europe, mainly owing to fairly draconian regulations regarding the movement of animals into the country. Because rabies has a 6 month incubation period, for many years it was the law that pets had to be kenneled in licensed establishments for 6 months. Recently, I believe the law has been changed because of vetinary advances. If you microchip your pet for identification purposes, and have a 'pet passport' showing all the relevant vaccinations, this period is waived. There's no way you could get an animal into the UK without extensive preparations.
Most european countries have some restrictions on animal movements. As a Brit, married to an american, I always find it strange to see pets on planes - you never see it in the UK!
As an international educator I have also heard some horror stories about pets not being watered or fed. Friends of mine sent their dogs from the US to SEAsia and the animals nearly died in Bangkok as no one filled their water bowls.
Check with your schools housing rules - if accommodation is provided it is often stipulated that no animals are allowed.
pamelag

Taking Pets

Post by pamelag »

I've taught in five international schools located in eastern and western Europe, in the Middle East, South American and now in Asia. I have always traveled with current shot records along with a declaration with the official stamp of the veteranarian of excellent health of the animals (cats). I've never had a problem at all. Even though I've heard of horror stories along the way, I've made sure to ask the airlines to be with the animals on long layovers and I've fed and watered them myself. On one long layover in Finland, I claimed the cats at the luggage area, checked into a close hotel (11 hour lay over) and re-checked all of us back in after we all rested, ate and drank. It helps to break up particularly long trips. I have always found excellent vets in each country. The kitty cats are great companions in this overseas without family kind of life style! I've adopted a kitty off the streets of Israel, and equipped with current shot records had no trouble entering Germany with her. I do ask about animals toward the end of the interviewing process and before signing the contract.
wardsinabudhabi

Pets overseas

Post by wardsinabudhabi »

We have traveled to and from Asia, to Africa and the Middle East with our dog of 10 years (got her in Bombay "Mumbai"). I would say ditto about the paperwork. One thing I didn't read was that you will need to have the microchip to travel through Europe; ask your vet about it. Another thing that I didn't read that you need to think about is summer vacation. What will you do with the dog while you are away for summer vacation? If you move to a country that has household help, then they can stay with your dog during the summer. One last point to think about especially with a lab is will there be a place to exercise as well as what you housing will be like: apartment, house, villa, etc.

pets

Post by Guest »

In Bogota, not only are dogs allowed in every residential building in the city, but you can even bring him to school with you!

Post by Guest »

We worked in South America and brought our dog from the states. We had all the paperwork done correctly, of course, yet upon arrival customs gave us a very hard time saying it was not correct. Once we put $20 in our passport and handed it to them, we got through just fine. Very good groomers and pet care since dogs were very common.

We also brought a puppy to Africa from the states. Went through fine. Not good grooming nor pet care available.

In Saudi Arabia, pets were allowed yet the school we worked for highly discouraged it because we lived on a very small compound and pets were considered a disturbance to others. There were wild cats galore as well so that was always a big stinky problem. Not good grooming nor pet care available.

If the host country does indeed allow pets in from foreign countries, just make sure you get the paperwork done properly with all the stamps and pet inspections (usually done at your state capitol department of agriculture, animal and plant health inspection service http://www.aphis.usda.gov). And keep in mind the health and welfare of the pet. Is the weather going to be conducive? Is there adequate nutrition? What about wild animals and disease?

carefully consider bringing or adopting pets

Post by guest »

I currently live in Bangkok and brought my 2 cats with me. I also brought them to the Middle East. Some of the difficulties have been getting decent vet care and finding really healthy food for them. Also, someone to look after them when I'm away. When I was at the job fair, I asked recruiters about bringing them with me. Some turned me down on the spot because the schools were boarding and teacher housing was in the dorms. No pets allowed. There is a website, sorry I don't have the URL, that has listings for each country and their pet entry requirements. You can also call the embassy for that country and they can give you the most up to date information. BTW, here in BKK it's difficult to find apartments that will allow pets, except for the really expensive ones that are way out of my reach. So you might ask other teachers who are in the country you are hoping to go to about that.

Lastly, please, please don't send pets through air cargo. It's very hard on them and some are traumatized by it. I did this with one of my cats to the Middle East and I'll never do it again. When I came to BKK, I was able to find a Thai woman in the states, a friend of a friend situation, who had not been home in 3 years. I paid for her ticket so I could bring both cats on the plane with us. Since my school paid for one ticket, I really only paid for one ticket. Also, I got her luggage allowance, so that helped me get more stuff over here. It was good having someone to travel with and help me with the cats. I could have found a lot of people who would have loved having a free trip to Thailand but I felt a lot better being able to give a free trip home to someone who couldn't have afforded it otherwise. It was win-win for all of us.

Ok, this is the last thing-there is a natural remedy that will help pets be calm through the travel process without tranquilizing (sp?) them. It's a Bach Flower Essence called Rescue Remedy. It's available at most health food stores really for people but works great with animals. You can just give them some drops-3,4, or 5 on their tongue a little while before travelling. Or if your pet doesn't permit you to do that, put some drops on your thumb and forefinger and rub it into their ear, not down inside, just on the skin and it will be absorbed and have the same calming effect. You can give it to them every 5 minutes if necessary. I tried to give it to my girls every 30-45 minutes or so. I hope this has been helpful!

Post by Guest »

China- no problems for cats and dogs. Just have all paperwork up to date.
Chrissy

website

Post by Chrissy »

check out this website www.pettravel.com for listings of each country's pet entry requirements
guest1

housing and petsitting

Post by guest1 »

Getting the pet there is one thing. Are you allowed to have a pet where you are being housed? What will you do if you are suddenly told that your pet is no longer welcome? Will you be able to find new housing without losing your job? Does your employer want you to have a pet (if your employer is the one providing housing)? Can you find someone to care for your pet while you are at school? Will this person be trustworthy? Will your pet like this person? Is there a place to walk the pet? All sounds very pessimist, but these are considerations. I was able to make it work, but not without encountering problems along the way. So I think it's worth some forethought. Good luck. I would not want to be over here without my best friend!

Post by Guest »

I can THOROUGHLY recommend flying with Lufthansa if you are taking pets. many of their planes have a special hold for animals. My cats were watered, cared for and cooed over at every stage of my several trips with LH.
bay

travelling with pets

Post by bay »

would agree with the lufthansa comment, they are very good, if you have a stop over with them they will take the dogs out and walk them for you.

one point on the china- is okay for animals, just be aware that only one animal may travel per passport to china, so if you have two dogs like me and my wife had you have to make it look like they are travelling on the two seperate passports and you have to sign for them seperately.

we have taken our dogs to the middle east and back to the states and are now in asia, they have been very well looked after with lufthansa and united being our main carriers. definitely check what the airline offers before you fly, some of the planes don't even accept animals in their cargo, some will be wonderful for the pets, its all about doing the research on the individual airline.

finally i saw someone wrote about the micro chips, be very careful that the chip you get is the correct one, we had to get a 2nd chip inserted into both our dogs when we took them back to the states as the ones they had couldn't be read by the radar guns they have in the US airports.

hope that helps
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Will second the comment about getting your employer's approval to bring a pet -- in writing! We came to visit our new school the spring prior to moving, told them we'd be bringing a dog. We arrived, nothing was said, but a couple weeks later had an uncomfortable interview with our faculty support office who told us our landlord didn't allow dogs (though there was nothing in the lease the school had signed on our behalf) and wanted us to move out!! Left an uncomfortable strain with both the school, who suddenly insisted they hadn't known we were bringing the dog, as well as the landlord, who didn't have a legal case for eviction, but she lives upstairs and gives us cool looks every time we see her.