Anyone know about the British International School of Jeddah

Funlovin

Post by Funlovin »

E B, thanks very much for your very interesting comments. Are you able to give your opinion on the air pollution situation there? I have heard that it is not that wonderful, but not that bad. The Conti school is near the airport I understand.

Also to get to a decent beach, I am not sure if the Conti school has a beach club, how many minutes or hours driving, would it take to get to a place where the water and sand is clean and its suitable for children?

Regarding buying a car, would you recommend a 4 x4 type of vehicle, something that offers protection in a crash? I have heard traffic can be quite challenging. Or is a family sedan okay? Are 2nd hand vehicles a viable option?

Thanks again and I look forward to any informed comment on the above.
E.B. White

Jeddah

Post by E.B. White »

Air pollution is not a problem - I have not heard anyone complain about it. It isn't great, but it is not worth noting. Litter is a big problem here - I am still not used to the litter here. It's the worst of anywhere I have lived.

Conti is relatively close to the airport, but the airport is pretty easy to get to from most places in Jeddah - that is a small positive. I have been at four international schools and at two, the trips to the airport were sometimes longer than the plane rides. The Jeddah airport is easy to get to and quite nice also.

It is about a thirty to forty minute drive to the beach club we go to. There are probably closer ones. This beach is quite nice and perfectly okay for a family. Expect to see bikinis and the occasional woman in the water in her abaya, too.

Many people here have invested in SUVs, others new sedans, while some swear by an old piece of junk. All can be found. Personally, I would opt for the best used vehicle I could afford. Driving here is pretty offensive like many places in the world, with high speeds, weird lane changes and so on, but it can be done. You need to be hyper-alert if you are behind the wheel.

Hope this helps.
Funlovin

Post by Funlovin »

Thanks again E.B. As I love my music, would you know if it is a problem to bring in CDs? I know the covers must not show too much female flesh but is there any hassle with the content perhaps? Also, I play some acoustic guitar, any problem to bring instruments such as these in at the airport?

Is it possible to purchase a wide range of sporting equipment for children and adults in Jeddah?

I very much appreciate your answers E.B, or anyone else with informed comment. Thanks.
E.B. White

music and sports

Post by E.B. White »

We brought in over 200 CDs in our shipment and have brought many here in our luggage and there has never been a problem. Keep in mind, as a family, we shipped in a lot of stuff (part of the deal we made with ourselves and our kids when we moved abroad) and I don't think one of our boxes was opened, but I believe a big part of that was because the staff member we had at the airport worked out a deal so all of us didn't have to spend hours going through things. But, having said that, we have never even had a suitcase opened at the airport, so I don't think it will be a problem. We were also worried about a couple of pieces of artwork, and even wrapped a couple of statues in socks and undies and hand-carried them, but still no problems. I am reasonably certain bringing a guitar would be no problem. We brought three musical instruments - one on the
plane, and two in the shipment (including a guitar) - and had no problems.

You should receive a list of what can be brought in and what can't from either your school or a shipper where you live. There are some odd things - like you are not supposed to bring chess sets (and we had a really nice one we sold) but you can buy them here! Read it carefully, and use your best judgement. Depictions of the human form are supposed to be a problem, but again, that's only if your stuff gets inspected somewhere along the way. We brought a DVD of Almodovar's "Bad Education" - to name just one thing - and no one ever saw it.

As for sporting goods for children and adults - we have never had a problem and can't remember hearing of any problems. Sometimes the stuff is more expensive, but it is here. We bought scuba/snorkeling gear for four, and it wasn't cheap, but it was high quality.

Hope this helps.
Funlovin

Post by Funlovin »

Thank you again E.B. for your helpful advice. Are you able to buy music cds in Jeddah? How about musical instruments? Are kids toys such as bicycles, scooters, footballs etc available?

Do you find your children have enough to do to keep them occupied on their days off school? Mine are aged 7yrs and 5 yrs. We would like to get them involved in some organised sport, such as soccer and swimming. Are girls allowed to play soccer?

Apologies for the detailed nature of the questions but believe me any information is very good. Thanks.
the Hippo

Jeddah

Post by the Hippo »

Funlovin', my wife and I were teaching in Jeddah for a year. E-mail me at simon_hill81@hotmail.com and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
E.B. White

Jeddah

Post by E.B. White »

No problem with your questions. CDs are available here - mostly rock and pop; there is not a wide selection, but there are some, and enough. DVDs, too. Musical instruments - if you can plug them into a wall they are here (keyboards, etc.); we brought three musical instruments over so have not looked for anything else. There are organized sports here - Jeddah Youth Baseball League is coed, the schools have a limited number of after-school activities and a few on weekends, and some compounds organize events. Our daughter is an avid soccer player (she is 10), and she has opportunitities - slight teasing from some groups of boys for being such an athletic girl. Our kids are older, so homework fills in the gaps. I would not say there is an abundance of things for kids to do here, but there is a minimum amount. The problem we have found is things for adults to do. For adults, it is absolutely horrid. As I have said in a previous message, if I were single, I would have shot myself last October.
johnwest

Jeddah

Post by johnwest »

My dear, dear friend E.B.! You KNOW I wish all these comments had been posted long ago! Is [u]anything[/u] improving? Or should I bring my own gun for October?
E.B. White

jeddah

Post by E.B. White »

J.W. - I just went back through my e-mails (I am not particularly good with the personal account, the school account tires me) and saw I owe you a reply! I promise an update in the next day or two, tops. There were 46 detentions after school yesterday, and almost-daily multiple suspensions for fighting. I did a peer observation yesterday of a senior English class, though, and was pretty impressed - certainly the most intellectual thing I have been a part of on the campus this year. I'll write more re the gun very soon.
- E.B.