Living and working in Beijing

mags

Living and working in Beijing

Post by mags »

Hi,
Anyone out there able to provide some info. on the real cost of living - everyday expenses other than accomodation- for foreign workers in Beijing? Food, clothing, utilities and the like. Also info. on what to do in own time and relative costs e.g. english film cinemas, gyms, other recreational facilities.
One last query - how necessary would it be to learn chinese?
Thanks
Mags
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

Ni Hao!
Living in Beijing is FANTASTIC! it has all you want: exotism, and yet all the kind of fun westerners need (live music, bars, art galleries, etc.) it's easy to get out of the city too if you need to reconnect with nature on your free days!
Cost of living depends on wether you need to eat just like you would in your home country There are a couple of shops, Jenny Lou's the most famous in the expat community, that sell all the international brands, and it is a bit expensive. But local product are good, and you can really live on that. Oh, and if you like Chinese food, there are sooo many restaurants, street stalls, etc. You can have incredible dinner parties, take away, etc. for a really reasonable price.

Clothes: if you 're kind of thin, you'll find that there are a lot of options/choice in the many shops and markets. If you're "chubby" (I am, that's why I can tell you about it!) you'll either shop in the "true/fake designers brand" markets (international size) or just go to the taylor. You have big feet? No problem, I used to have my shoes hand made there.

Lots of people talk about the polution, I never found it a problem. Now, if you have asthma (spelling?) you may find it difficult.

The language: You can catch up easily with the minimum "survival language kit"! numbers for shopping, directions for going around. It also all depends how much you usually mix with the local community. In Beijing, you can easily find Chinese people who speak English, anyways.
(now, for that part of your inquiry, it would be good to have someone elses opinion, I learnt Chinese at the University and speak it kind of fluently, so, I may not be the best to talk about living there without speaking the language).

And now, the all-in-one comment: I would LOVE to go back to Beijing. It is a great place to live in.

and I would be interested in hearing from people who didn't like it as much as I obviously did!
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

loved beijing. it can be expensive until you learn chinese, then the prices really drop. the local restuarants are the best. i left because i wasn't making any money. the pollution was a little tough. but i would happily go back in a heartbeat.
stateside

Post by stateside »

Here's an article from the November issues of Travel & Leisure...

www.travelandleisure.com/articles/boomtown-beijing/