Anonymous Flames

Rav

Anonymous Flames

Post by Rav »

I like the idea of ISR, let's start off with that. BUT recently my school was anonymously flamed by a departing teacher - I guess as a parting shot. The things written are not representative of the school or the attitudes of other staff. My concern is that this could drive good potential recruits away, and we all want good teachers at our schools.

So it got me thinking - how could the whole rating system be modified to improve validity. Of course a similarly deceptive result could be achieved through one great review for a poor school. This is also undesirable.

A lot of the information people are looking for is objective: salary, savings potential, number of local hire vs foreign staff, etc. These could be collected in a much more comprehensive manner than the current anecdotal form. If schools cooperated then some real data could be gathered on teacher satisfaction.

By the way, I'm all for transparency - my school is Nido de Aguilas in Chile. It's a good school. I teach high school math.

Also - I'm an open-source guy, I believe in free access to information. Only teachers looking for new schools pay their 30 clams for this site and they tend to be less satisfied with their school. Open it up for everyone!
10/6

Anonymous Flames

Post by 10/6 »

Hi

I would like to say that I agree with you about these reviews: they need to be honest and not just an angry backlash. Otherwise, their purpose is totally negated.

Some really negative reports are valid - I have been in the region and experienced it for myself. These are the schools that many of us end up in, sometimes becasue there are no reviews. Web sites are not a true indication of what goes on in some schools. These are the ones we need to be protected against.

Where there are several good reviews and then a blatant rant, one can usually "read between the lines" and figure out that it is just a disgruntled staff member. But I agree: it is a great pity that even one dishonest review appears.

In my opinion, two things need to happen:

1. We need to make a point of reviewing schools with a good reputation, so that they at least appear on ISR.
2. We need to have the courage to sign our names (as you have). Usually people write once they have left the school, so what is the harm if you sign it? And if it is a positive review, no-one should mind signing it.

I'm all for openness and honesty. We need to stick together and make this site worthwhile.

Wendy Wilson
scribe

parting shots

Post by scribe »

A good point is made that people reacting out of bitterness and getting in their last kicks are not in the proper frame of mind for writing a review. It does happen, however, that people wait until they've left or are near leaving just to avoid the unpleasantness associated with giving honest criticism, and there is often very good reasons for remaining anonymous - the world of internatl. teaching can be remarkably small. However, that anonymity should not be seen as an excuse for hyperbole. Future reviewers: examine your motives. Revenge is not a good one, but keeping others' (all others) best interests in heart is.
JISAlum

Opening up the site

Post by JISAlum »

Rav- It is good to hear from someone from Nido. Reading the negative comment was somewhat surprising in the review. I have other 'experiences' and knowledge of the school and leadership so the review come off to me as negative and vindictive. However someone with other knowledge might not perceive that.

I think that on other 'review' sites you cancel out the occasional negative flame by the preponderance of positive contributions. The relative low number of reviews for some schools make that difficult. The other posts exhorting teachers to post positive comments is a good one.

However opening up the site to all negates the income of ISR's owners. The only other viable model would be an add supported model and that might not be an option IMHO.

I would be nice if schools volunteered pertinent information. Accurate salary range, housing costs, turnover, curriculum etc. The 'good' schools probably already do. It is the 'bad' schools that wouldn't.
TexianTravel

Anonymous Posts

Post by TexianTravel »

There is also the possibility of prosecution, which is the reason I don't sign many of my posts.

One thing I look for is consistency. If both the reasonable posts and the unreasonable ones mention housing as a problem, but for one it is a small problem and the other a huge one, I can figure housing is a problem. That is also how I detect false postings. They will deny something is a problem when all the others seem to agree it is.
Rav

Good Points

Post by Rav »

Good points are made by everyone who responded.

I'm thinking it's time to develop a more objective resource that is free for all up on the Internet. If only there were more time. Do you think schools would willingly and honestly submit pertinent information such as pay scales, benefits, tax burden, standardized test scores, etc? I hear the prep schools in the U.S. do this.

Do you think schools would allow their staff to be polled so that the numbers in the chart would represent the mean response?

Would be an interesting, time consuming project.
[size=24]
How about creating an International Schools Wiki?[/size]