new recruitment agency

frequentguest

video interview

Post by frequentguest »

We used a video interview (without any agency) last year. Although a job did not come of it, we were impressed that the administrators at the school (Carol Morgan in DR) cared enough about our applications to set this up with us - we were attending an ISS fair in Bangkok and had NO intention of going to the US for another fair, so they proposed setting up a video interview. We actually did the interview while in Singapore, where we were vacationing, at an internet cafe. It was a bit difficult hearing all involved, my husband and I had to share one computer - but for all its shortcomings, it was certainly balanced out by not having to pay airfare to the US, hotel, etc. I think this was new for the administrators, also, as they weren't willing to extend contracts on just that video interview basis - they wanted to wait until after they had interviewed at the fairs - but I imagine that this kind of transition takes time. Or hey, maybe they just didn't want to offer us positions - at least we didn't pay thousands of dollars for that particular rejection. We ended up taking positions offered to us at the fair in Bangkok rather than waiting to see how serious they were, a move inspired both by practicality and by some of the comments made on this site, which is another valuable service for teachers.
How great it would be if other school administrators would open themselves up to this video interviewing option and give it weight in their decision making process. The irony of attending a fair looking for jobs while staying at a first class hotel costing hundreds of dollars per night has alway struck me. Sure, it's great for the recruiters whose way is paid, but for the rest of us, it sure sucks to pay $6 for a small bottle of mineral water.
Hopefully, if schools are willing to sign up for this new service, they are expressing serious intent to use it on an equal footing to face to face interviews. Good luck applicants!