Are School Psychologists Attractive Applicants?

Beth from Kansas

Are School Psychologists Attractive Applicants?

Post by Beth from Kansas »

Hi, all!

I am interested in working abroad, but I am a School Psychologist, which is slightly different from counseling, although I do that, too. I tried to contact ISS, and they totally blew me off since I don't have my degree in Counseling, but in School Psychology (even though an Ed.S. is higher than a Master's!).

So, I am wondering if anyone out there knows if school psychs. are good applicants? I really want to work abroad, but I just don't know how 'hireable' I am, though I'm willing to relocate anywhere. (Personally, I think school psychologists are just as good as counselors b/c we specialize in mental/emotional health, academic problems, and counseling all rolled into one!). I don't really know if other countries even know there is a diff. b/tw school psychs. and counselors....

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Questioning from Kansas,

Beth
Answer?

Post by Answer? »

Some international schools schools have School Psychologists on their staffs. It seems to be a growing trend among larger international schools, and those looking to better-identify and provide services for students with learning disabilities. This can be especially true in developing nations where it's find these services off-site.

I also know of some people with School Psychology degrees who are working as counselors in schools.

I'm surprised that ISS did not respond in a more positive manner. Perhaps it would be a good idea to call some of the other international school recruiting agencies to see what they think.
guest4

Post by guest4 »

I had a freind who just retired from DODD had a great time saw a lot of europe. good american retirement. took forever to fill out papers. but she said it was worth it.
stateside

Post by stateside »

Most schools don't admit students with disabilities simply because they don't have the resources that public schools in the states have to serve the needs of those learners who don't show achievement with the school's curriculum. As a school psychologist, if you operated using the discrepancy model and qualified children based on your data, you'd have to provide a learning environment to support your findings. International schools don't typically hire SpEd teachers, OT's, SLP's, etc.

If you wanted to be seen as a counselor, or a leader who implements Response to Intervention and - classroom environments and teaching causalties, etc., then I think an international school would jump on that. You're looking at the environment as having the issue, not the child as being broken (outdated theory). The environment can be tweaked.

On the flip side, I knew a school psychologist abroad who worked from home as her husband was a CEO in a major corporation. She did private testing for several schools around a geographical area -- and schools used her information to justify exiting students out of the school due to lack of resources to meet their needs. Kind of sad, actually, but she made pretty good money as she charged $1500 per psychoeducational eval and did about 10 per month.