American School of Asuncion

Val

American School of Asuncion

Post by Val »

Heard anything about that school? It seems like a great school but I have not seen any reviews. Anyone can help?
ASA opinion

ASA

Post by ASA opinion »

This is a local school and the student make-up is almost all very wealthy locals. Asuncion is not a very nice city and crime is very high. It is a great jumping off point to some of the best parts of South America.

If ELSA LAMB is still a part of the school, DO NOT GO!
globaljuju

Asuncion and Esla Lamb

Post by globaljuju »

Elsa is no longer the director at Asuncion. I have never worked there, but I did interview with her. She went on to a school in Nicaragua three years ago, but I don't know which. I kind-seeming older gentelman took the post. I forgot his name, too.

I have never heard anything but good things about Elsa. I am surprised to hear this.
Guest...

Post by Guest... »

I was very impressed with Elsa Lamb during the interview process and in fact turned down many other good offers. It was an entirely different matter once we got to the matter of actual working. I did not find her to be a serious educator/school head at all and she fired one excellent teacher because of a "political" parent. Her level of integrity was very low and she seemed more interested in the salon than teaching.

No-one I know who worked with her has many good things to say...

Re: ASA

Post by Guest »

ASA opinion wrote:This is a local school and the student make-up is almost all very wealthy locals. Asuncion is not a very nice city and crime is very high. It is a great jumping off point to some of the best parts of South America.

If ELSA LAMB is still a part of the school, DO NOT GO!

Post by Guest »

E.L. is in Nicaragua. She is not a visible or friendly adminstrator. Conversations tend to revolve around her. However, she can right a sinking ship which appeals to some boards.

ASA in PY is heavily local and heavily influenced by locals, many of whom are involved in corrupt businesses. Students have an "interesting" sense of entitlement. Ahem. It's also VERY HOT most of the year, with lots of street crime. Local folks are nice and it is very cheap to live there.
mtncelt

Post by mtncelt »

American School of Asuncion has 2 reviews on the ISR website. One positive, one not...you can choose which to believe. Staff stay anywhere from 2-7 years.

Asuncion is hot, street crime is no worse than anywhere else in SA, and probably less than many.