realistic advice needed

martijem

realistic advice needed

Post by martijem »

My husband and I are both teachers and hope to find international positions next year. The process seems quite daunting, but we are determined to be out of the states by August of 2011. My husband is a third year elementary school teacher and I have taught special education English and history for 9 years and am currently in my second year of instructional coaching so I work with many schools across the county. My husband has a bachelor's degree, but I will complete the coursework for my doctorate in May. We both have international experience. My husband completed his student teaching in Belize and I have studied in Russia and Malaysia. I also completed a summer Fulbright in Brazil 3 weeks ago.
We do have 3 children. I have read that couples with over 2 children are less desirable. We are open as far as location. I would really like to pay back my massive school loans and would prefer a safe location for my children (ages 3, 6, 12).
So sorry to overload you with information, but I really need a realistic idea of what to expect. Now that I have divulged our resumes, I would be extremely appreciative of any advice you could offer. We thought about attending the UNI fair in Iowa or possibly the job fair in Chicago. Would you recommend a job fair??? Also, what locations would you recommend and do you have any idea of a pay scale (I am finding it extremely difficult to locate this information).
Again, any information or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Hi,
The only thing that MAY limit you is three kids.
You may be able to negotiate in some place and in others you won't.
The cost of flights, tuition and sometimes larger housing etc. holds schools back from that 3rd child.
There is no reason with your experience that you shouldn't be offered something.
It is hard to get figures on pay. ASK what you save not what you take in.
You have to do your own research on the locations. One resource you can use for capital cities is run by former state dept people. talesmag.com(?) and britishexpat.com have information about cost of living, pollution, and lifestyle.
QSI takes people with more than 2 kids but you have to be very careful which location and which director. Pay is equal at all locations but savings are not.
Lots of people get jobs outside of fairs but I am signing up this time just to have an experienced advocate and someone to bounce questions off of. It is worth it to me after my latest experience. I may not make it to a fair, but I can consult with someone and the school I am at is to cheap for Search or ISS (That should have been a warning!)
JISAlum

Connecting

Post by JISAlum »

Your challenge isn't really the 3 kids- there is probably a school out there that will hire you. Your challenge is finding it.

You need to prepare- online portfolio, research locations and schools, market yourself and your spouse. Someone out there will see your value irregardless of the number of kids. You also need to be ready to accept a job in a location you might not have considered. Maybe to go overseas you need to go to a country that might not be in your top 5.

UNI is a good fair. I wasn't aware of a fair in Chicago- and I live there now. Which one is that?
marlow

Post by marlow »

ISS is sponsoring a fair in Chicago in February, the 14th through the 17th.

As far as fairs go, my first fair ever was UNI, and it was excellent; that was back in 2000, however, and the list of schools that attend don't seem to be of the same caliber as it was at that point and time. I would choose the earliest job fair in the States, and hope that not too many jobs disappear in Bangkok and London.

As for the three kids thing: I know some of the top schools in Asia do look at people who have three kids, but it can be tricky. I'd go with an open mind, but I think with your qualifications some doors could be opened!
JISAlum

Chicago

Post by JISAlum »

Thanks for the tip on Chicago- wasn't aware of it. Agree with UNI quality. While there are a couple of good ones, most seem to concentrate on Bangkok and/or Boston. To bad- Uni was good. However if a Supt can fill positions by going to a swank hotel in Bangkok or Boston, why go to Iowa?

[quote="marlow"]ISS is sponsoring a fair in Chicago in February, the 14th through the 17th.

As far as fairs go, my first fair ever was UNI, and it was excellent; that was back in 2000, however, and the list of schools that attend don't seem to be of the same caliber as it was at that point and time. I would choose the earliest job fair in the States, and hope that not too many jobs disappear in Bangkok and London.

As for the three kids thing: I know some of the top schools in Asia do look at people who have three kids, but it can be tricky. I'd go with an open mind, but I think with your qualifications some doors could be opened![/quote]
martijem

Post by martijem »

Thank you very much for the prompt replies! While realizing that we MUST be open-minded, as far as location, I will admit I am having difficulty determining how to go about researching schools. What is an online portfolio? Should I create a website with professional information regarding my husband and myself? How would you suggest we market ourselves? Should I begin this process now? Should I register with ISS or search associates? We are willing to do whatever it takes!!! I realize these are probably the most basic of questions, but I am NEW at this. We REALLY want to to begin a career teaching abroad (it is something we have wanted to do for a very long time), but want to make the right decisions for our family! Thank you so very much for all your help!
JISAlum

Marketing

Post by JISAlum »

There are many schools and positions gained outside of the job fair meat market. You just need to make connection with these schools to initiate the hiring process. One way is to put your credentials online; resume, online video, examples of work, have a Skype/Twitter/Facebook account- or whatever. Start looking for examples of teachers who have an online cv and follow/learn how to do it.

Also, spend time on this forum, there is a lot of good info to be gleamed about 'good' schools. What is your criteria for a 'good' school; money, curriculum, size, position. What schools exist, or what locations exist that might meet those criteria.

IMHO one of the most important things to know is not necessarily the facts about individual schools- because you'll probably not be offered jobs at schools you're thinking about. Rather, you should have a set of questions you 'need' to get answered. With a list of questions you can make a judgment call about offers. Does a school answer the important questions, and are you asking them during the interview? Any Supt can put on a good marketing act. Ask tough, straight-forward questions and if you don't get an answer, walk. All the really good Supt's I've worked for answered all the questions.

[quote="martijem"]Thank you very much for the prompt replies! While realizing that we MUST be open-minded, as far as location, I will admit I am having difficulty determining how to go about researching schools. What is an online portfolio? Should I create a website with professional information regarding my husband and myself? How would you suggest we market ourselves? Should I begin this process now? Should I register with ISS or search associates? We are willing to do whatever it takes!!! I realize these are probably the most basic of questions, but I am NEW at this. We REALLY want to to begin a career teaching abroad (it is something we have wanted to do for a very long time), but want to make the right decisions for our family! Thank you so very much for all your help![/quote]
derPhysik

Get Started

Post by derPhysik »

I am a new international teacher who is starting in the ME in about a week. I started the process as only an idea about a year ago. Cost of living and pay were too slippery a concept for me to ever nail down. Just do as much reading as you can, and use your own experience and judgment. I didn't get clear ideas about what I wanted until I had already started interviewing and listening to what schools had to say (and my focus was narrowed). Besides reading and researching on the internet, my process started with JoyJobs. For about 40 bucks they will put up a profile of you with your documents, resume, and references. Also, they offer a lot of articles that take days to read and absorb, but are very spot on for advice. My plan was to see if JJ worked (cheap) and then use a fair if nothing was panning out. While I was submitting my application/paperwork to ISS, things started heating up with interviews (Skype). I got about 1 response for every 20 e-mails I sent. I used the listings on JJ and TES to generate my e-mailing list. The further the process went, the more I learned about international teaching. I'm new to the racket, but my impression from the last year of job searching is that couples have an advantage over singles, currently, and 3 kids might be a bump in the road but you will never know until you try. Special Ed qualifications are write your own ticket. I am very happy with the school I chose. I lost two other good ones, turned down two weird/bad ones. There were maybe 5-8 others that danced with me. This is my first, so hope to have a different experience 2 years from now. I'm committed to this long term. Your mileage may vary!
wrldtrvlr123

Salary Scales

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Search Associates' school information database has the best and most detailed information on salary, package, student make-up, savings potential etc.

The vast majority of schools are in the database and its searchable by country, position opening, which job fairs schools are attending etc.

Even if you don't go to a Search fair, its worth joining to be in their candidate database (that can lead to unsolicited offers from schools) and to have access to the schools' details.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
martijem

Post by martijem »

Thank you for all the wonderful advice. Ichiro, I have found the whole concept of moving your entire life (and 3 children), to a foreign country, to teach is a completely overwhelming thought to so many wonderful and experienced teachers. I have to agree! Although our motives included teaching in new and adventurous environments, experiencing diverse cultures and becoming global citizens, I feel that this is truely something wonderful we can do for our children.
As I prepare my CV, online portfolio, and read and research everything I can get my hands on over international teaching, I grow more and more excited about the prospect of teaching abroad.
azteacher

QSI

Post by azteacher »

We are VERY happy with the QSI school in Kyiv, Ukraine. We have 2 school age children and they are receiving a fantastic education. As educators, we are also very happy with the school
NicoleMarieSchreiber

QSI schools and teachers with dependents

Post by NicoleMarieSchreiber »

Would a QSI school possibly hire a teacher with a non-teaching spouse and two children?

Thanks!
martijem

Post by martijem »

Thank you AZteacher. I've looked into QSI and this seems to be a great option for my family. Does anyone know when they begin posting job openings on their website?