Political Climate in South East Asia?

teacherbeth

Political Climate in South East Asia?

Post by teacherbeth »

Hello,

I'm wonding if anyone is in SE Asia, specifically Singapore, Jakarta, Thailand, Kuala Lumpur...and can tell me what it's like there at the moment. Do you feel safe? My husband is at this point putting the kybosh on applying to those places because he doesn't think it's a safe place to be and too unstable.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Beth
pikefish

Re: Political Climate in South East Asia?

Post by pikefish »

So it sounds like the only region your husband will consider is western Europe? Middle East? South America? Africa? I guess maybe Japan might be "safe."

That's sad.

I teach in SE Asia and feel safer here than I do when back in America.

If looking for complete stability and safety then I am not sure what to tell you other than your choice of countries will be very limited.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

We teach in Thailand and feel very safe here.
JISAlum

Safer

Post by JISAlum »

If your husband is going by what he sees on the news he's getting a very distorted picture. When living in Jakarta or Singapore I was always dealing with relatives back home who thought I was in 'danger'.

You'll be safer in SE Asia than in any large US cities. With two young kids I much rather they be walking somewhere alone in Jakarta, Singapore, Bangkok or KL than most US places.
teacherbeth

Post by teacherbeth »

hello,

thanks for your responses. I understand exactly what you mean about feeling safe walking around. What I was more referring to was political climate - i.e. in Canada, there might be some crime in Toronto but I'm reasonably sure that I'm in a democracy and it would be insanely unlikely for the goverment to crumble or riots to break out. I guess that' the sort of thing they're addressing on the CBC; political climate in a global sense. I understand that no where is 100% safe.

I'm not sure why you would feel the need, pikefish, to jump down my throat when i asked a simple question but I empathise with the fact that you feel safer in SE Asia than you do in America. All the best to you.

Thanks again for the other more constructive responses. I'm continuing to look into it and I appreciate your input.

Beth
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years, and never once feared for my safety (and I am a single female who frequently travels on my own). The bigger issue you need to consider is the economic climate. Here in Thailand, the political problems have lead to larger economic problems. When that happens, often, students end up withdrawing from International schools, and when enrollment goes down, so do budgets, etc. Thailand is a great place to live and work, but I feel I'm leaving at the right time. If the ill health of the king ends in the loss of his life, you might expect there will be bigger political strife and maybe civil war here. Long live the King.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

To be honest I hardly every go back State side these days cause I am too concerns about safety etc for my children. In most of South East Asia you will be safe, however economic concerns should not be ignored as well as cost of living- while very reasonable - can actually be more expensive if you live just like you would in America. Also not all schools are the same some are excellent and pay well while others do not. So my concerns would be standard of the school and salary benefit package. Good luck
derPhysik

Political Stability

Post by derPhysik »

Tough question. You said your husband sees the whole 'region' as possibly unsafe. Each country has its own problems, history, and development. Currently in the Middle East. As an example, I've read books - the long term stability of Saudi, and they have real problems sustaining their spending, an exploding disaffected youth population, and a royal family at the top. In my opinion it will be a catastrophe- someday. When? Who knows? The country I'm in seems very safe and stable, but I can see that it won't last forever.

Also, people back home think I'm dodging islamacist bombs and forced to wear a burqua! Nothing could be further. Everyone has been friendly, and it is a beautiful country and people.

One more perception, my father worked in the ME in the 70's. We all thought it was unstable and violent. Look where we are, now! I would rather be here than a major U.S. city, or in a train tube in London/Madrid.

I know it is in another part of the world, but the concerns are the same. I would recommend not 100% relying on current news. Read some books about the history, find some longer essays with -, and choose one country not a region.
djekalo

Post by djekalo »

I think that SE Asia is very stable compared to some of the african or south american countries and even some in Europe. I have never felt safer than the years we spent living in SE Asia. As for personal safety, you will be a lot safer in asia than in the U.S.. People in asia just seem to be happier and more content than their western counterparts.
Globetrotter1

Post by Globetrotter1 »

Do consider Laos. We teach here and find it pretty safe. Like any country you need to be sensible late at night. There is the occasional purse snatching, motorcycle theft or house break in but a lot less than in my home country that is 1st world. Politically it is quite stable unlike Thailand.