no teaching certificate

TAC

no teaching certificate

Post by TAC »

Hello. I am a certified and experienced ESL teacher who has been teaching for 6 years. I have taught ESL to adults and also spend a year in both Mexico and Venezuela teaching in a private secondary school. I also have a Masters of Education. Is it possible to obtain jobs in international schools without having an actual teaching ceritificate?

Post by Guest »

It's possible but not guaranteed. Some schools are willing to hire uncertified staff while others are not. Uncertified applicants with a master's, significant experience and strong recommendations may have better results.

If you get a job as an uncertified teacher, you might want to look at some of the options for obtaining certification while working so that it's no longer an issue.

Post by Guest »

you might want to look at some of the options for obtaining certification while working so that it's no longer an issue.
Can you please tell me what some of these options are? I have searched high and low but in Canada the only option is to return to school for another full year of study or a few univeristies offer part time study for 2 years. I really want to live abroad again as soon as possible so alternative options would be helpful.
rockstarluna

options

Post by rockstarluna »

Hi there,

I was in a similar predicament. I decided to do the Northern Plains Transition to Teaching program out of Montana State University. It is a distance program but is a fair amount of work. Anyway withing a year you get a provisional license which is then upgraded when you have gained a year of experience. They also offer a masters in curriculum. I don't remember their web address right now but if you google them it's fairly easy. Since I am not sure if I want to teach in Canada anyway I don't care but it may be possible to suppliment with a couple of Canadian courses and transfer most of the credits ... I hope.

Post by Guest »

i vote for going back to school and getting your official teaching certificate. it's only 1 year out of your career, yet it will be done and better jobs will open up for the rest of your career. respect the profession of teaching and do what everyone else has had to do. years of success for 1 year of sacrifice will.

i get tired of hearing people who always want to take shortcuts in teaching. i wouldn't want my kids to have teachers who tried to do things the easy way because they just couldn't wait to get what they wanted.

Post by Guest »

i get tired of hearing people who always want to take shortcuts in teaching. i wouldn't want my kids to have teachers who tried to do things the easy way because they just couldn't wait to get what they wanted.
Thanks for the reply but it isn't just that I am looking for a shortcut. Like I said, I have been teaching for more than 6 years at a variety of levels and in several countries and have several education degrees. Even my professors from my Masters program tell me how bored I will be in the program and while I need the paper, it is simply that, a piece of paper from a do as I say program. I have heard from countless people that they learned little in their B.Ed program and that the best lessons come from the classroom (which I have experienced.) In my option it seems to be a money grabber and I while it is only one year, it also means taking a year off work and going into debt about 10 000. Take this example for further explaination about the money..... after teachers college to specialize in ESL a teacher needs to take three additional qualifying courses. I have a friend who has a one year post graduate university TESL certificate, a Master of TESL and after teachers college she will still need to take the third qualification course. Does she need it? Will she learn anything new? Of course not, it is only because they want her money. I agree with the whole do what needs to be done but sometimes life experience and other education should qualify you as someone who is skilled in the field.

Finally, just because someone has a teachers certificate doesn't always mean that they are able to teach.

Anyway, despite the resistance, I believe that I will be returning to school to get that piece of paper.
J

Post by J »

I'm not sure where you are from but in Arizona you get a degree in education and then to get certified you take exams. If you already have a degree in education it is possible that all you need to do is take some exams in your teaching area to get certified.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the tip but in Canada you have to go to Teacher's college for one full year. No exceptions. I thought about getting certified in the States but then I couldn't transfer the certificate back into Canada.

Post by Guest »

some clarification needed, perhaps.

a USA university which offers a bachelors (4 years) or masters (5 years) degree in education will include a teaching certificate in that program. if you have degree in something other than education and decide you want to be a certificated teacher, then you go through a teacher's certification program. this usually takes 2 full school years because student teaching is part of the process. perhaps some universities offer 1 year programs. i've not heard of many. receiving a teaching certificate from a credited university is a legal matter as well. it's tied to federal laws and federal funding issues. if you want to understand this more, just go to any website of a state's office of superintendent of public instruction and you can read for hours about certification.

with my teaching certificate, i am required to accumulate 15 credit hours of post graduate work every 5 years to keep it valid. otherwise, it expires. as difficult as this sounds, it keeps teachers current and educated about best teaching practices, cognitive issues, and curriculum.

i've taught elementary education for 18 years. i have a masters degree in child psychology as well. at my last international post i was allowed to be the school psychologist because of my background and demonstrated ability. the school always told me that if an experienced certificated school psychologist applied, they would hire him / her and i would be replaced. after 3 years that did happen. of course this would never happen in the states. i would never have been allowed to do this. it would have been illegal.

now i am enrolled in a school psychologist certificated program through a credited university which includes 15 classes and 1200 hours of internship. it doesn't matter that i had 3 years of experience or a masters in child psychology. if i want the certificate, i have to do the work.

the most important thing i would like to add to this string of posts is that education is changing all the time. the research is amazing and i have learned tons in my current certification program in school psychology. things i had no idea about. my bitterness about having to do an internship flew right out the window when i realized how little i knew compared to certificated school psychologists out there.

if you want the good paying jobs in the good schools, there's no other way to get there if you don't do the work. if you consider that you'll be in education for 30 years, it makes sense to take the time to set your credentials in order.
guest from Alberta

teaching certification in Canada

Post by guest from Alberta »

... it seems to be a money grabber ... Take this example for further explaination about the money..... after teachers college to specialize in ESL a teacher needs to take three additional qualifying courses. I have a friend who has a one year post graduate university TESL certificate, a Master of TESL and after teachers college she will still need to take the third qualification course. Does she need it? Will she learn anything new? Of course not, it is only because they want her money. ($1000 per course in Ontario at a teacher's expense of course)

All for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I agree wholeheartedly... I just moved provinces, applied for the new province's certification in July, got temporary cert in Dec and my file comes up for something more permanent this month (march!). Good thing I am only substitute teaching and good thing some schools were not so "to the letter of the law" as this teacher certification branch or I'd be on the street (or flipping burgers).
To get certified here I had to gather a quite whack of documents and pay 225$. In other provinces, I have heard of the new province suggesting a teacher with 20 years of experience needed to go back to school to complete a few courses (any of which she could have likely taught herself) in order to get certified. She became a teacher's aid instead.
In my humble opinion, this shows an incredible misunderstanding of the craft of teaching (and learning) and I am disgusted that I pay taxes which provide the salaries of people who form such policy, not to mention all the paper handlers for the whack of papers from each and every teacher applicant.

So if you really need the Canadian certification, make sure you get it in the province you most likely would want to return to and perhaps you want to consider the price of ongoing certification. Here in Alberta, I understand its only that one time fee, Ontario was charging 140$ a year (which is nothing compared to engineer/nursing/lawyer/ect liscences but still... all you receive for your $ is the liscence and a magazine to let you know some of the things your $ is going to!) Since the time and $ you'll spend is for a silly paper, make sure you get the best paper possible. :-)

Post by Guest »

Hi : ) I'm in a similar situation. I was wondering if anyone has heard of Western Governor's University. I've been talking to them, and they seem to have a good program. Also, it's "competency-focused" they say, so you fulfill requirements based on your knowledge and experience (tests) and only take classes you need.

Does anyone have any real experience with this University? Please let me know if you do. Also, I'm interested in hearing about other programs.

Thanks,

My-Certification-Just-Expired