Upcoming Job Fairs

Candycane

Upcoming Job Fairs

Post by Candycane »

I've been out of the recruiting loop for awhile. New job fairs have been added and it seems the recruiting season has been bumped up.

The Search job fair in Bangkok (early January) seems to have the most schools signed up for anticipated attendance. There are some good schools that I would really like to interview with. However, I don't want to attend if this is just sort of a "window shopping" opportunity for recruiters. The schools I'm interested in aren't listed for attendance at later fairs yet. Do the later fairs fill up later?

I have six years (3 schools) of international teacing experience (sp ed). Am I a good candidate for this fair? Are the later fairs more fruitful?

Is the Search Cambridge fair (February) still considered the biggest?
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Candycane,
I am a teacher with plans to apply to teach internationally within the next year or two. I have both elementary & high school experience. Which countries would you suggest I consider? I'd like to know which countries you've worked in and what your experience in each have been. Any advice you may share is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
marlow

Bangkok

Post by marlow »

Dear Candycane,
I experienced real success at the Search Bangkok fair two years ago; I had registered for ISS as well, but didn't need to go. Personally, I found the schools were quite anxious about hiring; the statistic that has stayed with me to this day was that at ISS Bangkok, there were over 900 openings and only 350 candidates. I had twelve interviews at Search, and 7 offers.

My two caveats would be this: if you live in the US, be sure you're willing to spend the money and time to get to Bangkok, and perhaps not get what you want. I was lucky to get the school I was aiming for, but it could well have worked in the other direction.

The other thing to think of is this: if political turmoil continues in Bangkok, come January there might not be a fair. I'd have a definite backup plan in mind.

Good luck!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlow

Post by marlow »

Hola, Ichiro!

I was single at the time (now married) and teach A1, A2, and AP English.

I appreciate the frustration of experienced teachers, especially singles, as I know how much work it is to get a job over couples; one of the more frustrating experiences I had at my first job fair was being told "We're quite interested, but it would be better if you were married." And of course, we've all worked at schools where one teacher in a couple is dynamite and the other is a dud.
Candycane

Post by Candycane »

MMMC-There are too many schools to list which ones have SPED programs. I would just search schools in countries that you are interested in. You may also want to apply for other positions you feel comfortable teaching in (ie elementary or ESL) if SPED isn't available.

Marlow-It's good to hear that another single had luck at the Jan. Bangkok fair. I'm single.

I am still not sure if I will attend this fair or not. The fact that you had such a positive experience makes me wonder if I could miss an opportunity if I don't go to an earlier fair. ????

There are so many schools listed on the anticipated attendance list. I know this will change, but not too drastically.....right? There are A LOT of schools there! Schools are also asking for earlier notification from teachers that they are not returning, so it makes sense that schools would recruit sooner. The other "big" job fairs are in February....so most schools probably know opening in January. Right?

Let me know what you guys think.
marlow

Post by marlow »

Hi Candycane!

Whenever I've done job fairs, from UNI in 2000 through today, I've always wanted to attend as early as possible out of paranoia that jobs would be taken. What I would wonder about in reference to your area is the amount of schools offering special education. I've worked at schools that don't have special needs out of cost concerns (and the difficulty of hiring someone in that area.) This will definitely require some homework before you commit to the fair!

Another thought: it's my understand a lot of schools hired via Skype before the fairs last year. I know Skype is caught up in some legal battles right now, but even if it goes away I'm sure schools will continue to search for ways to hire people before the onslaught of the fairs.

I think the best thing working in your favor is your area: I worked hard to gain experience in IB and AP just so I would stand out apart from the pack, as English teachers tend to be quite common at fairs. Working in special needs could really give you a boost!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Are you set on being only a SPED teacher or would you take a classroom with special ed responsibilities. My wife is a SPED teacher but took a Grade 2 classroom in Vientiane and worked SPED as part of her other responsibilities. It worked out great for us and for the school.
Candycane

Post by Candycane »

Thanks for the posts Marlow and Overhere!!!

I've taught elementary in Int'l Schools as well. I plan to apply for elementary positions as well as SPED. I have been teaching for 12 years and SpEd is definitely my fist choice.

Marlow-I'm thinking I have the same paranoia as you. I don't want to miss out on the few openings that may be out there.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

This is very good information.
Thanks ALL