Hiring nannies

doublejointeddonkey

Hiring nannies

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

This is a very nerve racking experience as it will be our first time with a live-in nanny.

It would be great to hire some one's who is leaving but they are getting snatched up by people wo are already in the country...I would be best to get a 'pass down' before arrival because of visa problems and other issues...and once school starts we could be left in the dark with no help or not so good help...

Can you ship in your own? Any agencies or websites like this one that could help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
E.B. White

nanny

Post by E.B. White »

It's hard to offer any advice without knowing where you are going.
steventon

Nannies

Post by steventon »

Hi

Yes,would help to know your destination.. However,I have had experience of hiring live-in nannies/housekeepers in both Malaysia and Brunei - definitely not worth bringing someone in with you.There are many wonderful ladies who will do a great job and who are already in the country-or there are agencies who will bring one into the country for you. Over the years, I have employed several Philippine ladies, who have done a great job and who spoke excellent English too. The average salary for a live-in housekeeper/nanny in Brunei is Br$400 a month.
doublejointeddonkey

I'm going to the middle east...so there won't be much in terms of local help...
other than references ;)
E.B. White

help

Post by E.B. White »

I am in the Middle East, and it would be absolutely no problem finding someone. At least where I am, there are many "guest workers" from east Asia and finding them is relatively easy - other colleagues will know names upon your arrival.
jakarta2008

Post by jakarta2008 »

Why don't you contact your new school and get the names of families who are leaving. You may be able to 'inherit' a first class nanny.
doublejointeddonkey

Not many families leaving and all the nannies are spoken for!
E.B. White

nanny

Post by E.B. White »

Again, hard to say since it depends on the country, but I would ask for the names of teachers with nannies, and get in touch with them. Their nannies might know something. Our school wouldn't help us get up out of a chair, but I guarantee you if you asked my housekeeper for the names of other housekeepers, she would have some lined up outside your door the next morning. If the veteran teachers have nannies, you''ll find one, too.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

E.B. White is right on the money. Although it would give you piece of mind to have a nanny lined up before you go, you won’t have any trouble finding candidates after you arrive. When we were in the Middle East, our friends were looking for a nanny, so our nanny called her niece and she ended up working for them. That’s how it works. You will even find requests for work shoved under your door or in your mail slot as the locals are eager to find work from expats. Good luck.