UNI Fair

Trojan

UNI Fair

Post by Trojan »

In mere hours, it starts. Here's hoping it's a successful event. It's my first fair, so here's wishing...

Any last minute advice, or if there are other UNIers out there--johnwest, I have a feeling you might be here--I think it would be interesting to get a little play by play.

Ate at Doughey Joey's for dinner. Pretty decent. Nice staff.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwest

UNI

Post by johnwest »

Nope, I'm not! I gave in and signed a contract before the fair. That means less competition for you, not that I ever feel like competition. I would love to have been there, though. It's a great place to just walk up and start talking to people.

[b]Relax and drink plenty of water. Have a great, hectic time! Best of luck with the interviews.[/b]

As for skype, it doesn't even work where I am currently posted anyway. Try to convince school heads of that when they want to interview! I think they feel I just don't know how to use it...I do tend to worry about the Big Brother issue, though. Can anything even happen ANYWHERE in the UK without being caught on CCTV?
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Ahh, johnwest, I kept seeing you on the UNI Chat. Glad you got hired. whereabouts?

About Skype: I've never had a conversation on Skype of any length that didn't get dropped. It's free, so I'm not complaining. I even had a principal say "screw it" and she just called me on the phone.
johnwest

job fair

Post by johnwest »

I am headed back to Saudi, west coast this time.
JISAlum

UNI Fair Asian schools

Post by JISAlum »

Can anyone comment on the number and type of Asian schools at UNI? Were there any of the bigger Asian schools attending?
shansar

Post by shansar »

Best of luck Trojan!
Try to relax and enjoy it the best you can!
You will definitely look back on it.
Please let us know how it goes. :)
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Well, my first UNI experience is over, and I have to say it was pretty thrilling. Lots of high highs--the first day my top three choices all asked me back for second interviews--to the lowest of lows: they all ended up passing on me for teaching couples, or to see what else is out there at the next couple fairs.

That. Is a major bummer.
But, I knew it would be an uphill battle, as I have a non-teaching spouse and a child.
That said, I did receive offers, albeit from proprietary schools or schools that were in locations I wasn't considering.

Then Sunday morning came: I had scrambled quite a bit to get some last minute interviews and I ended up getting one with a school in Mexico. Not a ton of cash--that seems to be de rigeur in Mexico--but it seems like a nice school and a nice community. Bonus: they have given me all week to decide. Something important when I have a wife to talk it over with.

All in all, the UNI experience was a roller coaster, but I'm glad I did it. I learned a lot about myself.
johnwest

UNI Fair

Post by johnwest »

Congratulations! It always feels good to be wanted, especially after rejections. It really does take an extra effort to keep the rejections from feeling personal when it's usually simply a case of a bad fit (like not being a teaching couple!). Best of luck reaching your decision.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

So, I'm accepting the position!
It seems to have so many positives:
-the director seemed like someone I wanted work with, plus he started the school over twenty years ago, so it's not like he's in the revolving door.
-small school, tight warm community
-near the beach, and family friendly
-Spanish speaking: always wanted to learn
-AP opportunities, which will help my resume
-family friendly and I think my wife and child will have a great experience
-our families seem happy and willing to visit, which is kind of nice
-he gave me people at the school to talk with and they seemed excited about the school, and they had family, so it seemed like a good fit for us.

The money's not great, but it seems like a wonderful place to live and a nice school to start our international experience. UNI fair was good.
johnwest

UNI fair

Post by johnwest »

As I said earlier, it's good to be wanted. Congratulations! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Enjoy the experience!