Verbal Agreements

mnolan

Verbal Agreements

Post by mnolan »

Having had the experience of getting into a world of trouble over a verbal agreement and then backing out once the contract was mailed and read (conditions were different than the verbal agreement) I have had much time to think and research the topic of contract law and came upon [b]The Statute of Frauds.[/b]
By no means am I purporting to be any kind of expert but my research has brought me to the following among other sections of the law:

Contracts which cannot be performed within one year must be in writing. A verbal agreement does not always commit one if the written contract is not signed. There must be a meeting of the minds.

Since most schools offer two year positions will they fall under this statute? Have some of the recruitment agencies been skirting this?
I don't know. Anyone out there want to venture an opinion?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnolan

Honor

Post by mnolan »

Honor is a two way street. When a verbal offer is made and the contract offered wants you to break the law by entering the country illegally to work I would think the agreement is void.

For many the agreement originates in the United States so I would think the law would apply there.

It is complicated and not black and white.
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

Good luck mnolan...

I think the point was...your working in a world where contracts are worthless, and that there is a different way of doing things than the 'American' way.

For example
A great school with a great reputation could forget to include something in a contract but as a teacher you would not have to worry they will take care of it for you even though it is not in the contract...

...on the other hand you could be at a school with a bad reputation and have the perfect contract that is written to include all your essential needs and wants, but when you show up they follow none of it.

It also works the other way for teachers too and if you get a reputation as unwilling to see through the contract you'll be blackballed!

This site is all about learning about the schools or admins that have a bad reputation with teachers allowing us to avoid them...Believe me, schools have their own systems and they work extremely well. The International Teaching circuit has an institutional memory!