Timeline for hiring

Trojan

Timeline for hiring

Post by Trojan »

Okay, I've read quite a bit on this forum about fairs (Currently, I'm planning on going to UNI only), and the hiring process.

My wife--not a teacher--and I know that there is a distinct possibility that I won't get hired (I have a 9 month old as well).

When do most people really get hired? Feb? April?

We are currently planning on putting our house up for sale, she's quitting her job, and we want to be realistic about when we need to tell ourselves, "It's not going to happen, at least this year." So, that we can make decisions about what to do this coming year.

Would love to hear your insight.

Thanks.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

As I've grown increasingly addicted to the ISR forum, I will most certainly post of my experiences at UNI, specifically as one who has a non-teaching spouse and a young child.

I know there are a buttload of posts on here, but I've yet to see that perspective written about. I see plenty from two teaching spouses, and those that have kids, but not from the one teacher, one non teacher (plus kid) perspective.

Am I really so rare?
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

I only have experience of Search Job Fairs (Bangkok specifically).

At the time of our interviews I was not a qualified teacher but had worked in an International school in I.T. dept and had taught 6th grade I.T. as emergency cover for 6 months. Although that doesn't matter with a lot of schools, you need the paper work. Luckily I.T. is marketable and I was on my way to getting the university "stuff".
You will find schools that may take on your wife as teaching aide or another position if that is what you want to do. They will make it work if you fit the teaching position they need and they know that you will be able to live financially ok on your salary. You will get offers I'm sure, but realistically maybe not as much as the single guy or the married teaching couple.
Having said that, choose wisely with the schools that offer. It's exciting when the offers come in but unfortunately they all may not be excellent schools to work in.
We met a married teaching couple who had an autistic kid. Not one job offer by the end of the fair after numerous interviews. It all got shut down in their faces after the son was mentioned. It was horrible and I felt very sorry for them. If schools don't have the support or they know the area around the school don't have the support for special needs, it's a no go.
So at the end of the day if it works for the school you're in with a chance. Good luck it can be an exciting experience but very trying and tiring.

Unfortunately or fortunately international schools still have to fill spaces up until June with a couple of late fairs taking place.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="seinfeld"]I only have experience of Search Job Fairs (Bangkok specifically).

At the time of our interviews I was not a qualified teacher but had worked in an International school in I.T. dept and had taught 6th grade I.T. as emergency cover for 6 months. Although that doesn't matter with a lot of schools, you need the paper work. Luckily I.T. is marketable and I was on my way to getting the university "stuff".[/quote]

What was the market for IT candidates- IT Directors or Teachers? Were there any jobs and/or other tech candidates?
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Of maybe the 30 schools that were there, I would say a third had I.T. positions with one or two being a head of department position. I would say in the overall picture outside of the job fairs, i.t. teaching positions are quite abundant. Only looking on a few Asian school websites there are i.t. positions open in all of them.
Oh yes, that's one thing I forgot to mention. We went to every school website before the fair to see if they posted the jobs there. If they did we contacted them with our stuff and said we would be at fair.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

If you're going to the UNI fair, they have a really good forum for their applicants on the Web site. It's usually pretty positive and helpful.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Hallelujah, ichiro. Finally, someone with an anecdote that says that yes, it may be difficult, but I know someone in your position (non teaching spouse and child) that did in fact land a job. I really needed to hear that.

Is UNI not considered a "main" fair? I had only heard positive things about this fair.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

My experience with UNI has always been positive and I would definitely consider it a "main" fair. My wife and I have been to two UNI fairs and one ISS fair and I would rate them equal in terms of service and commitment. Of course cost is a big difference between the two.
shadocg

Post by shadocg »

Hi Trojan,

I follow my wife around. She is in the medical field and needs specialized equipment. I teach and have always been successful at finding full time work that continues as long as we want to stay in the location.

I did contact both Search and ISS about going as a teaching couple (my wife's medical field would be a loose 'fit' within the educational field and she has her CELTA as well. Both responded with qualified 'yes, but send us her details'.

Never have signed up or gone to a job fair, but am on our third country so far!
shadocg

Post by shadocg »

As for UNI being a main fair, it is the largest non-sponsored by ISS or SA fair going. I would say Queens in Canada is number 2. However, by the time UNI comes up, Toronto, Boston, Queens, and Cambridge (Mass.) have come and gone, so UNI has a lot of the smaller schools looking. I would add that there are other fairs, such as the Latin America fair that just finished in Atlanta.

Another good resource for fairs and schools is tieoneline dot com. I use them when I know we are on the move and then let my membership lapse when we are stable.

Goodl luck at UNI and keep us posted!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I--a teacher with a non-teaching spouse and a young child--did get some offers at UNI. Had a lot of good interviews with folks, had some Skypes beforehand that led to second and third interviews. Even had some very prestigious schools come after me.

Ultimately, though, I think a lot of the directors knew there were other, less expensive, less risky choices. They knew they could move on to other fairs or find couples. Or hell, I know it's possible I didn't interview as perfectly as I would've liked (God, there was one that I absolutely bombed. I just looked stupid).

I did get a lot of interviews. Probably 10+ for the whole weekend. I turned down two offers, and am currently considering a third.

I felt like the directors were all very respectful and fair.

A great experience overall. Everyone was so friendly and so willing to share. I would definitely go back to UNI.