Job fair advice

Neptune

Thank you so much- amazing wealth of information

Post by Neptune »

Thank you soooo much,
This is wonderful and I am very thankful for everyone's in out and advice. It is a huge help! I will bring my laptop and guard it. I will stay away from the person announcing his/her blocked schedule (I will run from them), I will work on my response timing with my husband so get into the habit.
Thank you!
Neptune:)
Neptune

New question

Post by Neptune »

Alright,
So the first fair we're going to has our second choice schools and the second fair has our first choice schools. Anyone had this happen before? Any thoughts? We're doing both because we don't want to miss out on a contract and the two sets of schools are different at ecah fair.
Thanks,
Neptune :?:
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

I remember taking an interview with a school in Bahrain but we really didn't want to go there...but I wasn't to confident that we would get a ton of offers.

It didn't go well. The interviewer was not happy that his school was not in our top choices. As he did question our intentions and we were honest. I explained why we took the interview and he seemed to accept it...

That Search Toronto Fair is a real bummer for experienced international teachers there are a couple of great schools like IS Bangkok...but a ton of schools that are 'second choices'

You have to be careful on your approach...I would as your Search Associate how to handle it...you might get a good answer - please share their thoughts as to etiquette.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I would think that attending two different fairs might pose some problems if you get offered a job at a school that isn't high on your priority list at the first fair. Most schools won't be willing to wait much longer than the end of the fair for your answer. The exception seems to be the ISS and Search Bangkok fairs which are back to back. We met plenty of people at the ISS fair who had an offer in their pocket from the Search fair but were looking for something more disireable.

I think the secret is to be very open as to where you are willing to go and don't get fixated on one particular school. From my experience at fairs the most incredible opportunities often don't present themselves until you are at the fair and begin talking with directors and other teachers.

I think you can also put schools off for a bit at individual fairs. At our last fair we had one school offering us jobs, and we would have been happy there, but there was another school out there that we really wanted. So we kept the first school on hold, it was only a day but seemed like forever, while we negotiated and interviewed with the second. In the end the second school came through with jobs.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Wow that is a tough one. I think you could sure find yourself in a tough spot as I don't know that a school is going to be willing to let you wait a bit and get back to them. In our experience they all wanted an answer by the time the fair was over. Then again this was in February and they wanted to make sure to fill their spots. Surely someone on this board has experienced something similar?
Sorry I couldn't help more but I would sure try to figure out a plan before you get there. Are you positive that your #2 choice is your #2 choice? Sounds like you guys have done your research and that is great.
Neptune

Bird in the hand approach

Post by Neptune »

Ok here is a thought,
No, not entirely sure that 2nd choice really is. It could be that we don't have enough info about the school or position.

Is it better to have a bird in hand approach? We would take our decision very seriously and not commit to anything we weren't sure about. I wouldn't want to leave anyone in the lurch. Seems like 2-3 days is such a short time to make a big choice like that! Yikes! Thoughts?
doublejointeddonkey

Post by doublejointeddonkey »

I think it is important for you to check off the major problem schools before going into the fair...

They tend to be profit driven and the owner(s) play too big of a role in running the school...instead of leaving it to an experienced professional administrative team.

There are some from Kuwait, UAE, and Vietnam for instance. AS pointed out on this forum.

We could make a list? (5 or more in agreement) But its all opining after the few major ones.
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Yes, we agreed that we don't want to go to the middle east at all, too risky, not our thing. There are schools that say they're going to a fair but don't list any vacancies yet or say when they will...????
Neptune

2 weeks before the fair

Post by Neptune »

Well its 2 weeks before the first fair. We think we've prepared the best we could and have contacted and cultivated contacts like crazy. We're hoping for some interviews that go really well. I checked on my suits, printed references, resumes, thank you cards. I am sure we have forgotten something but I don't know what yet. Were there any interview questions that surprised you or were difficult to answer?

Thank you to everyone for their help!
Neptune
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Way to drag a thread back up from the dead but I was wondering how Neptune got on after all the advice?!
Neptune

Got on great!

Post by Neptune »

Hi there,
We got on great! We ended up with a few offers after the first fair (early one) and decided to take one of those. It went surprisingly well considering we had never done it before. I would definitely like to thank everyone for their advice. It made all the difference to us.
Thanks so much!
Neptune :)