Can 2 years of teaching experience land you a decent IS job?

calbeck1

Can 2 years of teaching experience land you a decent IS job?

Post by calbeck1 »

I know that most schools request 2 years of teaching experience, but as I am sure is the case they prefer more.

So what is the chance of a newbie like myself with only 2 years of teaching experience (2 years in Oakland Public Schools:USA) landing a pretty decent (by decent I just mean not one of these horror story schools I have read about) international school teaching job?

As for other experience:

- California credentialed teacher

- Possible* M ed by time if departure ( I have not decided if I will finish in time of departure: I would assume this would boost my chances?)

- Experience in international education programs (ran a summer English camp in Thailand)

- Teach for America corps member ( I am not sure if TFA is known in the International school community, Anybody know???)

Your Input is greatly appreciated by someone who is just starting to figure all this out.

Thank You!
maxsaidno

Experience

Post by maxsaidno »

At the time of my first overseas job fair, in 2000, I was on my third year of public school teaching. At the time, the job market was quite close, and the various recruitment agencies recommended that I have two years of experience before applying. I attended the UNI conference, and received six offers.

The field is far more open than before, and if you're open (i.e. don't go to a job fair just for one country or one school) you should do just fine. Openness is the key, though: there are many great schools in great countries!
ptf

question

Post by ptf »

I know you are probably just looking for reassurance but the question is a bit pointless. Of course it is possible to get a good job. Of course it is less likely than if you had more experience. There are so many variables involved in getting a job. How you sell yourself (both in your CV and at interview), whether a school becomes desperate (eg someone quits at the last minute) and whether you have a particular skill set that others don't (eg you just happen to be a fantastic chess coach which is just what a particular school wants).

The only way you will find out is if you apply. We are getting pretty late in the recruiting cycle right now so the schools that are still looking will be more likely to consider you if they haven't found anyone else. (If you are meaning you want a job for next year)

And if what you are after is reassuring stories then I will tell you that I had 1.5 years in the uk, one year in australia and got my job offer right at the end of june (to start that August). I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (well my application did). I've been very happy here and now have 4 years of international experience to take into my next job.
specialed

Post by specialed »

As the recruiting season goes on, the schools become less picky. As stated earlier, the less picky you are about where you want to work, the more chances you will have of getting a job. If you are in a high demand area like math or ESL, you have an even better chance. However, like it was stated earlier, if someone needs a chess coach, and you are, well...

I found my current job in late summer and it was to a very good school.

Good luck and remember that it doesn't hurt to just send out a CV through email. It doesn't even cost anything!
E.B. White

experience

Post by E.B. White »

I obtained my first overseas teaching position with only two years of experience - and went from a little Midwestern town of 500 to a large Asian capital. It was a last-minute opening I obtained in the summer, but short of marriage and kids, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I was young and stupid and it was far from perfect - none of my overseas jobs have been perfect - but I am a better person for the international experience. Going to my fourth international school in August after 21 years of teaching and about ten years off in the middle to try other endeavors.