World Youth Academy, Beijing

Crespo

World Youth Academy, Beijing

Post by Crespo »

Does anyone know anything about this school? Also heavily advertising in the TES?
ptf

World Youth Academy

Post by ptf »

This opinion consists entirely of general feeling and half heard gossip so don't take it too seriously especially if someone else replies with cold hard facts!

World Youth Academy is a legitimate school (in China it is important to know that - everything is not always as it seems). I met someone who had worked there and they didn't have any complaints about the basics (ie you actually get paid...once again not always true here. But I don't think it is a particularly good school. Certainly not one of the main international schools here. I've never been to the school but they share it with a hotel so I'm not sure how that works.

Do you want to work in Beijing? What do you teach?
Crespo

World Youth Academy

Post by Crespo »

Thanks for the info on the school- its the only info I've heard so far!

I teach IB Philosophy and TOK (already do this in the UK) but am very much looking to move to Beijing. My wife teaches Psychology- this school offers teaching posts for both so we're interested!

Any info that you can give us about any of the Beijing schools would be welcomed...
ptf

well

Post by ptf »

I'm not sure how hard teaching jobs are to come across in those areas. I know my school doesn't offer psychology or philosophy.

There are lots of international schools in Beijing much better than world youth academy. Just to throw a few out.

International School of Beijing
Western Academy of Beijing
Yew Chung International School
Beijing City International School
British School

Are all good schools to work at. But I have no idea which ones even offer your subjects (except the 3rd one, that's where I am and we don't)

To be honest as long as World Youth Academy's package is ok you could always use it as a way to get here if you really want to be in bj and then serve your time and try to upgrade to other schools once your contract was done. I came to China nearly 5 years ago on a dodgy joint venture job (teaching) and after my first contract quit and got a job where I am now. I didn't particularly enjoy my first 9 months (that's how long the contract was) workwise but it was well worth it as a way to get here.
Crespo

Beijing Schools

Post by Crespo »

Thanks for the advice- I think you're probably right. Psychology/Philosophy are awkward ones to get jobs in....if the Youth Academy wants both I think we'll apply. It will get us over there- and hopefully we can then move on to a better school later...

The only other school thats really shown interest is the Emirates National School in Abu Dhabi- which sounds like a really bad school. It's simply difficult to get jobs in those subject areas.
ptf

Post by ptf »

I think I would definitely take world youth academy over your other option. And with Beijing flat out getting itself ready for the olympics now would be a good time to come.

By the way the location of world youth academy is good. you would be living in a fairly central area. quite a few of the other good international schools are a long way out of the city (which means they have space for better facilities) which means staff either have to live outside the city as well or face a longish commute each day.

Good luck with your applications.
Crespo

Beijing Schools

Post by Crespo »

Thanks PTF- I have some hope that it is a reasonably good school- as far as I can tell there are some REALLY bad schools out there.