after school meetings versus work life balance IB Schools

not cricket

after school meetings versus work life balance IB Schools

Post by not cricket »

anyone recommend IB schools where meetings schedule is sensible and the focus is on classroom teaching and learning? Is it true that many or most 'good' schools expect to see teachers come in to do marking and admin and insets on the weekend? I prefer to do my marking and prep at home and I struggle with my MA modules because the schoolday is extended by meetings. I love the classroom but the meetings could be handled by email. Ironically, I am spending less time with my students clubs (which I DO enjoy) to attend metings on the Development Plan, which I see as the managers job.
GHK

Post by GHK »

I find staff meetings to be amongst the least productive things I've ever done in schools. Most of it is often information that can easily be transmitted by email or newsletter. Discussions frequently go round and round. That's often the only chance for admin to strut their stuff and they love to hear themselves talk, so do teachers mind you...

Meetings should only be set to accomplish definite goals and these should be outlined before. I'd rather be helping or coaching kids than eating a cookie with a glass of orange juice listening to the director/principal ramble on about whatever is on his/her mind that week.

Ban staff meetings is what I say