International Teachers Organization

Pike

International Teachers Organization

Post by Pike »

Hello,

I have been reading a lot of posts, as my wife & I are somewhat new to the intenrational teaching world. Two years ago, My wife & I got into overseas teaching by accident. I sent a chance email to a director of an international school in a country I'd served as a peace corps volunteer years earler. It has been a trying two years. We used to say it can;t be much worse at other schools. Now, I am not so sure.

So, what can be done? Clearly, teacher placement agencies aren't doing enough to ensure that schools are reputable. Many schools only need to meet the minimal standards of their host country, and many host country aren't exactlt the best watchdog.

Review sites are infrequently visited therefore are limited.

It seems the best option is to establish something that would be more benficial than simply wrting a few scathing remarks or a few positive remark. Its too hard to discern the credibility of the critique. Is the person a hard person to please? Is this person have a vested interest in promoting the school?

It may be time for someone (probably a few retired teachers) to organize an overseas teachers organization. An organization devoted for the specific needs of overseas teachers.

Some of the possible services could be;
Publication/ Newsletter
Review of Schools*
Secondary insurance options
Pension plan and/or life insurance
Conferences for professional development and/or advance degree seminars

* This entail both a surveys & or inspection teams that visit schools

I am sure there are more ideas,... that is just off the top of my head.

Obviously, it goes without saying that some of the above will not be possible for a number of years, but you must start somewhere. Right?

<--Pike---
GHK

Post by GHK »

Sorry to rain on your parade, it's an interesting idea but very unlikely to occur for the following reasons:

1) Cost: A common incentive to start something is to be able to make a living at it or at the very least not lose money. Schools being located all around the world, it would entail high travel costs and accommodation to visit site.

2) Why would a school allow this organization access to the site? There are already plenty of organizations doing accreditation and have been doing it for far longer.

3) Why would we trust a bunch of retired teachers anymore than what we currently have in place?

4) Many of the things mentioned are already in place and done very well in many schools(retirement, pension, insurance)

5) There are international organizations such as EARCOS offering conferences already and if you're in a bad school, it's likely you wouldn't be able to go.

6) If you are talking about any kind of union, there are legalities involved and I know many teachers including myself that are happier working in International Schools because of the absence of union and all the rules and regulations they entail.

7) If someone is not wise enough to get good information about a school now with all that is available out there, it's unikely they'll fare any better with an additional organization.

8) If your idea has any hope of succeeding, I believe it would have to come out of something already in place and be some kind of offshoot of IB for example but I won't be holding my breath.

On another note, did you just discover what a web forum is and you love seeing your name appear?
Pike

Post by Pike »

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my idea. BTW, it isn't possible to rain on parade. It was just a thought not a life goal.

[quote="GHK"]
1) Cost: A common incentive to start something is to be able to make a living at it or at the very least not lose money. Schools being located all around the world, it would entail high travel costs and accommodation to visit site.[/quote]

Good point- Too much to ask for a non- profit organization, but that would be the ideal circumstances. That being ssaid, someone would have to be compensated for their time and effort.

As far as visiting sites are concern, it was only a thought. Distributing, collecting and - surveys would be far more cost effective. Actually sending people to locations would come only after a decade or more in existence, and only if membership is high enough to support such ventures. It may not be the best way to collect data either...as I said I was just brain storming :-)

[quote="GHK"]
2) Why would a school allow this organization access to the site? There are already plenty of organizations doing accreditation and have been doing it for far longer.[/quote]

It wouldn't do any accreditation at all. It wouldn't exist for the schools, only for the teachers. Schools that have good repuation I doubt would have a proble with a survey that would show that they are a good school. Schools that refused would be noted. A wise job seeker may take the hint, and eventually, the school will gert the hint too.... Then again, mailing of surveys or even advertisements in overseas newspapers publications can alsso do the trick.

[quote="GHK"]
3) Why would we trust a bunch of retired teachers anymore than what we currently have in place? [/quote]

Just brainstorming... really anyone with time, energy and desire to do it will do for me. I only suggested retired teachers because they mau have the time and experience needed to know what teachers really want.

[quote="GHK"]
4) Many of the things mentioned are already in place and done very well in many schools(retirement, pension, insurance)[/quote]

I was thinking more on the lines of secondary insurance. Different schools have different coverages (i.e. some have dental, others do not, etc,...). It is only meant to pick up, where the other leaves off. This will an optional packages and it based on Knights of Columbus' insurance plan.

[quote="GHK"]
5) There are international organizations such as EARCOS offering conferences already and if you're in a bad school, it's likely you wouldn't be able to go.[/quote]

Well, if you belong to the organization, you shouldn't be in one of those bad schools to begin with. As I said before I was brainstorming... I was alsl thinking student loans for obtaining a masters, discounts, etc,...

[quote="GHK"]
6) If you are talking about any kind of union, there are legalities involved and I know many teachers including myself that are happier working in International Schools because of the absence of union and all the rules and regulations they entail.[/quote]

LOL, I hate unions! Well, I don't "hate" unions... I do think they have gone too far. No, I was thinking more of a professional support organization, not an advocacy group.

[quote="GHK"]
7) If someone is not wise enough to get good information about a school now with all that is available out there, it's unikely they'll fare any better with an additional organization.[/quote]

Well, yes, but its very disperse. I am still finding stuff I never knew existed on the net. Its difficult to tell what is realible information (facts) from opinion. What is th truth and whatare the facts? One centralize location will make it very easy for anyone to feel confident & secure about their future posting. Its about making it easier, not just making it available. As you noted, its already there.

[quote="GHK"]
8) If your idea has any hope of succeeding, I believe it would have to come out of something already in place and be some kind of offshoot of IB for example but I won't be holding my breath.[/quote]

Possible,... I a not expecting ANYTHING anytme soon. Afterall it was just a thought 24 hours ago.

[quote="GHK"]
On another note, did you just discover what a web forum is and you love seeing your name appear? [/quote]

Well, not really. 80% of the post I posted occured during my first day I wason the board. I was researching about Dubai and the UAE. If I saw something else interesting and I thought I had something to add to the conversation, I posted. This foum is very inactive (as far as postings), so a little posting here and there and anyone will look like they don't have a life. On more active boards, you probably wouldn't even notice me anymore than anyone else.

Thanks for your thoughts, they were great points. Please don't stop "raindancing" :-)

<--Pike----
"Mind the Gap" - London Underground