Are the job fairs really the only way to go?

Sam

Are the job fairs really the only way to go?

Post by Sam »

I am seriously considering attending a job fair (ISS or Search) in February, 2006, but I would like to know if anyone has had success in obtaining an overseas position via some other route?

Also, I would like to know if overseas job fairs are more competitive than stateside fairs/interviews. Generally, I have done well at job fairs and interviews: masters in ed, 8 years experience, good recommendations, enthusiastic, single no kids, etc, but I am wondering if the overseas job fairs are more challenging?

Thanks for your input!!!!!
Todd

Overseas Job Fairs

Post by Todd »

I have attended 5 ISS fairs and was considering attending a fair held overseas prior to landing my current position. I registered through Search but never attended the fair as I discovered through the posted job listings that there were very few positions in my field, which is music. On the other hand the Search Fair held in the States had a good number of music positions offered. You might want to check on what is being offered in advance of purchasing a ticket to an overseas located fair.

To answer your second question: I have had great success in contacting directors I worked for in the past and asking if they have position for me in their new school. I found my current position in this manner. I have never had much luck finding a job through TIE on Line or positing my resume on the Search site. Then again there are four new teachers here this year that were hired in that way.
maria

fairs and how to get jobs

Post by maria »

I think Search Associates has very limited openings and schools it works with. The guy who manages Search is also a bit on the frosty side (unpleasant).
I think ISS is good but quite expensive and still a gamble when you go in February as they look at teaching couples first.
UNI Fair in Iowa is cheaper with a great amount of school choices and it is cheaper.
If you contact a director directly and are able to set a meeting, make sure he offers you a foreign contract and local hire contract. Read everything and be careful.
Hope that helps !
Simon

Search Associates

Post by Simon »

I have used Search Associates several times and they have been helpful and professional. However, perhaps I ought to explain that I'm a Brit and therefore the experiences of my American colleagues may well be rather different.

I have attended Search recruitment fairs in Frankfurt, Dubai (twice) and London. They were all well organised but a tad expensive. On the other hand, if you get a good job as a result of attending the fair, then it is good value.

Post by Guest »

Used Search a few years back. Quite expensive, and they insist you're prepared to work in a lot of different countries. Received a VERY unpleasant email from bloke in charge because I had said I MAY attend job fair on my profile but hedan't paid him the dosh to register for the fair!
janieraven

Are Job Fairs the way to go?

Post by janieraven »

I never went to a job fair. The first time I got a job was easy as I went for an interview in the country itself while I was there. The problem with that was that I became a local hire with no benefits at all and was paid approximately half the salary of an overseas hire teacher. The following year I worked with Search Associates and can tell you that Harry Deelman and his wife were incredibly helpful and I would certainly go through Search again in the future!
No, the job fairs are certainly not the only way to go. From what I have heard, they are highly stressful and not very enjoyable. If you interview well under extreme stress, then maybe you could give it a try! :lol:
mbd26

try CIS

Post by mbd26 »

I got my current job through a Search fair in Boston, it was OK but expensive. It becomes clear VERY quickly that the organization serves the schools, not the teachers.
But I'm off to the CIS (Council of International Schools, cois.org) fair in London next week which is FREE (well, transport and hotel will cost me, but there's no regstration cost). So check out CIS.
vonhelmick

ISS Job Fair

Post by vonhelmick »

hi, we just got back from ISS Boston. it was really great to have so many schools represented. We are a teaching couple who specialize in English and Math at the high school level. our experience with ISS was excellent. the first day we lined up interviews with our top 8 choices. we were overwhelmed by all the offers we fielded. ISS is really well organized and efficient. we would do it again. we got the exact job we wanted. however, we also fielded interviews outside of the fair. i think that is not part of the rules, though! vonhelmick@hotmail.com. feel free to email with any other questions.

didn't need the job fairs - tieonline

Post by Guest »

My husband and I went to the Iowa job fair last year and landed the job at the school we are presently at. We have decided to only stay the year, bad admin, and we couldn't afford to go to the job fairs. We thought we might be "black balled" and this is only our first year teaching.

We registered with TieOnline and were offered 3 or 4 positions. (Even with our admin. writing that we are only staying a year, and who knows what else.....) We still have people offering us jobs, even though we have now accepted a great job. All through the internet.

So I have to say, that I really don't think that job fairs need to be the only way to go. I also feel that getting "black balled" can happen, but there are ways around it. I don't believe in staying at a job for 2 years just because you are scared of what might happen.....you only live once!
concernedteach

Are fairs the only way to go?

Post by concernedteach »

My husband and I went to a job fair to get our first overseas posting, but got our others by contacting the schools directly and flying there for interviews. (at our expense) I think that many of the better schools like to hire outside the fairs.
LillyRose

Post by LillyRose »

I went through the ISS fair when I first went overseas. I found ISS to be very enjoyable, well organized and I got several job offers and I was very happy. The fairs are stressful, but if you know that going in and are prepared to network and can look out for yourself- you will do fine. I found some of the complaints were from people who thought the people at the fairs found jobs for you. They are there to help, but they really are there to bring everyone together; the rest is up to you. The next several jobs came from contacts we had made while overseas. I would say if you only want to work and live in one place, go there and find the job- but if you are open and flexible ( which you need to be to work overseas ) go to a fair with the right attitude. Talk to everyone, ask all kinds of questions, and seek out the right people and enjoy the experience as much as you can.
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

Eventhough they are not the only option/solution, I think job fairs are good. You get to meet the recruiters, you get to meet teachers from the schools you are interested in, you can balance options, exchange information, etc.
Someone said 'you can fly to the schools for interviews"... expensive!

Maria, Search is not managed by one guy, there are a few associates, and if the one in the US doesn't seem to have many fans, the Deelmans are really fantastic.

I went to a job fair with CIS in 04 (London). Stressfull, but well organized. I recommend spending some time in the "candidates' lounge", good place to exchange info. Also, I recommend attending all the "social gatherings"; again, you meet teachers, and you can also have an eye on the recruiters, wave a little "hello", be "seen".

About where to stay, I recommend the hotel where the job fair is held. It is really precious to be able to go back to your room, freshen up, (always look good!), cry, pee, etc. Also, you don't carry loads of bags, can go and relax, can get phone calls, etc. It is expensive but it's worth it, (plus you don't have the stress of transportation, being late, etc.)

The job fairs are really like trade fairs. The only difference is that both sides are buying and selling.
sibelsibel

Alternatives to Job Fairs

Post by sibelsibel »

I have been to four Search Associates job fairs, Oxford, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, and Toronto. It all comes down to your local Search advisor who should be able to help you and advise you as much as possible. Ray Sparks in Canada has been excellent. We call him Mr. Hustle, because he is so keen and enthusiastic to help you to find a school that suits you. He has also advised us not to apply to certain schools who have a dubious reputation for mistreating teachers.

But those letters from the US and the UK who have disappointing stories about their experiences need to find a hustler as well. Most people I know who have used ISS find that there are too many schools and too many candidates at the ISS job fairs, which is not my cup of tea. Search limits the number of schools and the number of candidates so the experience is more like a social event rather than a rugby scrum.

We also have found jobs independently from job fairs but this can be overwhelming in its complexity and potential danger. The Times Educational Supplement in the UK have a webpage with a database for international teachers, and contacting schools directly can sometimes work if you are lucky. Blanket emails to schools can be a waste of time and the school administrators will usually not respond to unsollicited applications.