Contacting Schools Before the Fair

antitravolta

Contacting Schools Before the Fair

Post by antitravolta »

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle communication before the Bangkok Fair. For jobs I applied for a couple months ago, didn't get a response, but still feel I'm a good fit leading into the fair, what is your strategy? Send a new cover letter and resume requesting an interview in BKK? If this is the case, how early do you send your letters? Do you think it's too much to do this, put cover letter and resume in their folders, and maybe under the doors too? Don't want to make myself a menace, but want to make sure I get to the decision makers. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
eion_padraig

Re: Contacting Schools Before the Fair

Post by eion_padraig »

I would certainly let those schools know you'll be at the Bangkok fair in a quick email that was expressing interest if you didn't mention that in the initial cover letter. I wouldn't send another new cover letter/resume in advance of the fair.

Eion
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Maybe you arent a good fit, and they arent interested? The rule is that when an IS wants you they act like they want you. So either they arent interested or they really dont know because they are just building their candidate pool for some future (fair) time period.
I wouldnt reapply again, but I would followup with the leadership team before, as the fair date approaches. Send them an email and request an interview time. They will either:

1) Suggest an interview before the fair (very good), buy a lottery ticket.
2) Miraculously like to talk to you on the first night if your available (very good).
3) Propose some interview times on their schedule (good if these are first day slots)
4) Ask you to visit their table during signup, but followup with an invite in your box when you arrive (promising).
5) Ask you to visit their table, but NO invite in your box (not promising).
6) Rejection, or they ignore you, or something else (bad).

Id contact them a week before the fair, no earlier. When you get to the fair drop off your application/resume packet in their folder and slide a copy of your Ichiro under their door first night. At signup if you have the time wait in line and take your 10 seconds. If nothing positive has happened up until that time, dont be surprised if its a pass or a third day slot or the like.
antitravolta

Re: Contacting Schools Before the Fair

Post by antitravolta »

Thanks guys. I get that they may not be interested. I doubt I'm anybody's dream candidate, but I think I'd be good after the upper crust gets picked off so I'm just making sure I do my due diligence. A little reminder shouldn't hurt. I'll drop emails about a week before and be ready with resumes and Ichiros in BKK.