Search Associates and a Spouse

McTeacher

Search Associates and a Spouse

Post by McTeacher »

Hi - I thought I read that someone said that they recommend that only one of a teaching couple should register with SA, but I just received this from them:

I note that you have a partner who is also a teacher, who is looking for employment in an international school. You have not indicated that your partner will also register with our company. However if you wish to be considered by schools as a ‘teaching couple, ’ then BOTH of you need to complete your registration procedures before either file can be activated. To be clear: if you wish to be regarded as a teaching couple you will need to be activated as a couple rather than as separate individuals. Please let me know if your partner has already registered or begun registration with one of my colleagues. Please also note it is not acceptable for one partner to register with us, and then use her / his registration to engage in job searches on behalf of the non registered partner.

So, I guess I have to cough up the other registration fee, no?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The error was disclosing the spouse as an IT who was also seeking an appointment; of course they want to collect two fees. You can go back to your associate and attempt to explain that your spouse is a IT/DT but they arent seeking an appointment/employment and create some rational from focusing on the kids or children to writing a book or doing graduate studies or something. Of course now you will have more scrutiny. You could also try switching associates if that dosnt work, there really isnt anything stopping you from claiming to live in a different associates territory (they will never mail/post you anything).
reisgio

Re: Search Associates and a Spouse

Post by reisgio »

PsyGuy wrote:

> You could also try switching associates if that dosnt work, there really isnt anything
> stopping you from claiming to live in a different associates territory (they will
> never mail/post you anything).

So true. They are masters without whips.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

They treated me like Mammy in Gone with the Wind. Goes with the territory I guess.
McTeacher

Post by McTeacher »

Thanks for the replies; I appreciate it.

Let's say I get around having to sign my spouse up, won't any schools that access my profile before making contact be confused as to why I didn't declare that my spouse is also looking for work?
yoplay

My Thoughts

Post by yoplay »

I've been overseas for over a decade now, and I've been fortunate enough to work at some great schools. In my dealings with quality directors and principals, there is one single trait that counts more than any other in international education: integrity.

You might save what, a couple (few?) hundred bucks by trying to find some workaround to not enrol your partner in SA? But at the end of the day, you're not being 100% honest through the process. I'm not passing judgement, I've certainly cut corners at times in my life. My experience with quality administrators at top tier schools has been that those sorts of behaviors are blaring red flags. In international education where we aren't all from the same town where we know each other's families, personal integrity takes on a heightened importance.

Of course, you can justify the workaround with the fact that Search Assoc. are jerks, or that they charge too much, or that many admin lack integrity themselves, and all of that. Whatever. Put yourself in the shoes of the type of admin that you want to work for at the type of school that you've set as an end goal. Would you want to hire someone who hasn't even been honest with the simple Search sign-up process?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

yoplay wrote:
> I've been overseas for over a decade now, and I've been fortunate enough to work
> at some great schools. In my dealings with quality directors and principals, there
> is one single trait that counts more than any other in international education:
> integrity.
>
> You might save what, a couple (few?) hundred bucks by trying to find some workaround
> to not enrol your partner in SA? But at the end of the day, you're not being 100%
> honest through the process. I'm not passing judgement, I've certainly cut corners
> at times in my life. My experience with quality administrators at top tier schools
> has been that those sorts of behaviors are blaring red flags. In international
> education where we aren't all from the same town where we know each other's families,
> personal integrity takes on a heightened importance.
>
> Of course, you can justify the workaround with the fact that Search Assoc. are jerks,
> or that they charge too much, or that many admin lack integrity themselves, and
> all of that. Whatever. Put yourself in the shoes of the type of admin that you
> want to work for at the type of school that you've set as an end goal. Would you
> want to hire someone who hasn't even been honest with the simple Search sign-up
> process?
-----------------------
I would tend to agree. To each their own but we've always felt like when you are making life-changing decisions then a few hundred dollars one way or the other is not really a big deal in the realm and scope of things. Possibly some schools won't care. Possibly one of you can go to a job fair officially and the other tail along. But, why take a chance that something relatively minor will get in the way of a really good opportunity?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@McTeacher

No, because ISs dont really look through profiles. The real bottom of the 3rd tier ISs will, but they wont care. Recruiters/leadership dont have time to go through profiles and message random candidates, they go through the applications they get.
Aside from that its not how SA works. When you search for vacancies you will have access to a apply button, that allows you to write an intro/cover message and then submit it. The IS gets an email with a link that allows them to view the candidates profile. The vacancy will also allow you to access a profile page where you can find the email address, and you can copy/paste that email address into any email client and apply directly, with whatever materials you want to. You can search for vacancies and apply through the SA portal and your spouse can apply directly through the email address, you both can apply directly.
What you will see is the ISs with a lot of vacancies that are more likely to have positions for both of you are going to be lower tier ISs, who wont care, wont ask, and wont even think about it. The upper tier ISs that may care are going to have far fewer vacancies, thus much less probability of there being a paired vacancy for both of you. In those cases you can just apply directly either separately or with a joint application; which SA cant do anyway. Your profiles arent linked, being a "teaching couple" is a description its not a category. To apply jointly is nothing more than both of you submitting separate applications and a note in the intro message that your spouse is also applying for X vacancy. You can do that directly outside of SA or actually submit a joint application (there are separate schools of thought about which is the most appropriate). All SA is doing is selling you the same product twice.

There is absolutely nothing detrimental or negative about your integrity or character by choosing to do this. The premium agencies do not own IE. This opinion of what is and is not acceptable is just their opinion. Their rules are just that their rules, you dont work for them. Its like selling you a cupcake and telling you how you have to eat it. You arent a bad person because you dont agree with them.