Shanghai American School versus Inter. School of Beijing??

Scott

Shanghai American School versus Inter. School of Beijing??

Post by Scott »

Hi everyone,

I've been offered jobs by both of these schools and was hoping to get some informed opinions from some "China veterans" in the know. These schools seem comparable when you look at package and reputation. Although Beijing as a city seems to get a lot of negative publicity because of the pollution. Is Shanghai that much better in terms of pollution and traffic?

Any comments and opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
themeleks

Post by themeleks »

Just curious, did you get these job offers at a fair or by contacting the schools directly. Just like to know because we are interested in these schools too.
Sorry I don't have any information to help you. Good luck in making your decision.
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

Hi Scott:

We applied to Shanghai just last week and did not apply to Bejing. Don't know much about either school, but have been to both cities. Shanghai was British for a long time and so is much more modern. We were told that the most building cranes in the world are found in Shanghai, so I guess it depends on whether or not that is your vibe. Beijing we did find to be quite polluted, but not more than most developing big cities. We were there 4 years ago and so I am sure that it has changed as a result of the Olympics.

However, like I said, we are only considering Shanghai, so ...
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Here is some information that might help you:
1. ISB has one campus and SAS has two, and all three are located outside the city center thus transport downtown takes time.
2. Beijing seems more polluted but thats a subjective evaluation on my part. We have seen the sun a great deal this year in Shanghai.
3. I have heard ISB teachers own cars-in general SAS teachers don't
4. Most SAS Puxi teachers live close to school, Pudong teachers in general live 40 minutes away.
5. Both SAS housing areas have amenities around them, like grocery stores etc. Traffic is only a factor when you want to go downtown in Shanghai and even then you plan your trips. This is a huge city and it takes time to go anywhere, with or without traffic.

Any more questions?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I don't think there are any teachers working at both campuses in Shanghai and if that were required for the job you were hired to do then the traffic situation would be made clear to you. The only time we travel to the other campus is for Pro-D days and athletic events. Administrators tend to travel a bit more.

It does get hot and humid in Shanghai but no more so than other SE Asian cities that I have worked in or visited. The school buildings and housing are all comfortably air conditioned.

The facilities at both campuses are outstanding and continuing to evolve. The Pudong campus is essentially one large building housing all three schools whereas the Puxi campus is like a small university campus with individual buildings for each school, gym facilities, the cafeteria, Performing arts center and Aquatics center.

The package is outstanding-having all your years of experience recognized from day 1 is a big bonus. We recently received a 4% raise for next year and an additional step was added for those at the top of the scale. The relocation and shipping allowances are more than generous as is the health care and personal wellness allowances.

Having said all that you will be asked to do a lot and the demands by students and parents can seemingly be overwhelming but its a good school with lots going for it.
Last edited by Overhere on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
lholz

ISB vs SHANGHAI

Post by lholz »

Haven't been to Shanghai, but there seems to be more posted here about that.

Beijing is a really interesting city with so much to see and do. Some teachers have cars - just as many if not more do not.

As already stated ISB is one campus. This may make life much easier regarding work. Someone I know has to commute between two campuses in Shanghai and it was becoming very difficult due to the traffic. Another person I know left Shanghai recently and cited the traffic gridlock as one of the major factors. Having said that, traffic in Beijing is getting worse too.

ISB is not in the city center, which does help with the pollution a bit. If you lived near the campus you would not have to go into the center unless you wanted to. It is set up for expats in the area of the campus and it has all the stuff you need. ISB staff are very happy with the accommodation they have available to them near their campus.

The weather in Beijing gets much colder than Shanghai but winters have a lot of beautiful sunny blue sky days. Not a lot of snow, but it does get a bit. If you like hot humid summers - then Shanghai is the place for you.
guest5

Shanghai American School

Post by guest5 »

I'm curious, Overhere, about your comment that SAS recognizes all your teaching experience. We've found that most international schools limit the number of years that you can come in at to 5-7, which means that those of us with close to 30 years experience feel like we are stepping backwards every time we transfer to another school. Does SAS have any limits to the number of years of experience that one gets credit for?
Pike

Post by Pike »

I cannot speak for myself because I have never been to China, and I do not know of any teachers who actually taught at either school.

However, I have spoken to US Embassy people who worked in Beijing. Every one of them said they would go back there in a heartbeat. They said there a lot of things to do there.

Unfortunately neither school had positions for both my wife and I.

If I may,... I suggest you do this:
List the things (in order) that are important to you
List the things that are totally unimportant to you
This is easier to do if you are single :roll:
Its a little tricky with a wife :wink:

<--Pike----
I teach history, therefore I teach everything! :idea:
YoDude

Beijing -vs- Shanghai

Post by YoDude »

I lived in Beijing and had several occasions to visit Shanghai. IS Beijing is one large building, and looks like a factory. Shanghai AS is more of an open "California-style" campus. As to cities, Shanghai is much more metropolitan and open. Both cities are difficult to get around in by car. Beijing is horrible in winter, but Shanghai isn't much better, just a little warmer. In truth, Beijing is in a desert!
As to salary, I know that Shanghai AS did have a pretty similar scale/format as IS Beijing. I think they have 12 steps, and give a 1:1 placement all the way to the top of the scale. Which means, if you have 12 years experience you come in at the top, and stay there unless they provide a COLA, which I know not about. IS Beijing's scale is a bit higher at the top end, but relatively close.

If I had to chose today I would chose Shanghai. Perhaps since I have not lived there, but have in Beijing, but also because I hear the housing is excellent. Shanghai is growing still I hear, and there are usually many openings.