30 some odd jobs at Shanghai (SAS)- normal?

JISAlum

30 some odd jobs at Shanghai (SAS)- normal?

Post by JISAlum »

Is it normal to have 30+ open jobs at SAS (Shanghai American School) for next year? Its a big school that pays well and is in a dynamic city. Or is it simply a case of a big school having a 'normal' amount of job openings?
teachingoverseas

SAS

Post by teachingoverseas »

Is there anyway that JISAlum and I can have tea/coffee in the north or south side of town?
scribe

it's probably normal turnover

Post by scribe »

SAS has undergrown HUGE growth with the construction of their new campus - last year they hired something like 72 new teachers, with the majority of those new positions. Between the two campuses, the number of vacancies you say they post this year is probably actually relatively light in terms of percentage of teacher turnover because, as you say, the package is great. We have friends who went 2 years ago and love it - plan to stay awhile. They are at Pudong.
windorama

Post by windorama »

In regards to SAS, I noticed on the UNI Vacancy List that they specified "local hire" for their elementary classroom teaching positions.

Does SAS not hire foreign staff for their elementary schools? Or have they already met their "mandated-quota" for foreign staff, and decided that these positions can be filled locally?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

SAS has close to 350 overseas hires and expects 15% turnover so 30-45 new hires isn't unheard of. Last year there were 94 new hires and the year before there were over 60. The school will exceed 3000 students next year.
JISAlum

Thanks..

Post by JISAlum »

The amount of growth must be huge. The scope of jobs on their site is fairly wide and there are a number of opportunities that are interesting.

teachingoverseas: I'm more of a city guy- plus I prefer beer....
teachingoverseas

Shanghai American

Post by teachingoverseas »

I am also interested in SAS. Can anyone from there comment?

JIS Alum: I am also in the city. Looking for info about Asia and overseas teaching in general.