Fair or not to Fair

theczechs

Fair or not to Fair

Post by theczechs »

We just found out that the SEARCH Bangkok fair is FULL. We really had our hearts set on it but just did not get in early enough. Now we are in a tough spot. London, the next choice is a HUGE expense for us. My question is...Do all the great package schools hire only at the fairs? What are our chances if we do not attend a fair? Anything you can share helps!!!
Thanks!
scribe

unfair

Post by scribe »

Check out listings for schools on tieonline.com - numerous ads indicate that schools may hire before the fairs - and several are good package schools. Several schools in China which are large, therefore have lots of openings and hiring to do, have been known to interview prior to fairs using methods such as Skype or video conferencing. You could also suggest it to schools you're interested in - contact them if they have openings you know you match and ask them if they're willing to do this. The school we're currently at has recently interviewed people via phone despite never having done this before, so it's an idea that seems to be expanding. Fairs are probably the best way to go, far more opportunity, but other options do exist.
mathteach

Post by mathteach »

Why not look into ISS Bangkok. It happens the week after Search. I think their cut off date is Dec 3, so you still might have time, if you hurry.
teacher_asia

Post by teacher_asia »

Yes, definitely sign up for the ISS. I don't think they have a limit on candidates, as Search does.

But, you need to register with ISS first, and that takes some time. They need university transcripts and original recommendation letters, sent directly to them by referees. They will accept faxed letters from referees. Write them an e-mail, explain your situation, and they might give you some leeway with due dates.

I'm pretty sure ALL the schools going to Search Bangkok will also be attending ISS. Most do not want to hire at Search, knowing ISS follows, so you won't really loose anything by missing the Search fair.

If nothing else works, contact the schools you are interested in, explain your situation, and see if you can set up an interview in Bangkok at the time of the fairs. I bet most schools would be very willing to interview you. If you already have a file with Search that schools can check, you really won't be disadvantaged that much by going this route.

Good luck!