Shipping or Shopping allowance?

joanveronica

Shipping or Shopping allowance?

Post by joanveronica »

My new school is offering a choice of taking a shopping allowance or a shipping allowance. I'm having a hard time getting quotes/determining how much stuff I can ship for the amount offered. I want to do the most efficient and economical option. If I take the shopping allowance I will be responsible for shipping anything at the end of the contract. If I take the shipping allowance, school will provide shipping at the end of contract. Is there a site that will do an easy estimate?

Most of my stuff will be stored at my home base so I really won't need to take much--yet this is my first IS job so am interested in what the veterans have to say. Thanks!
IAMBOG

Re: Shipping or Shopping allowance?

Post by IAMBOG »

These guys have been mentioned positively over the last few years. We'll be using them.
http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Take the shopping allowance.

1) You will need another IS when departing to provide you a shipping allowance sufficient to move your current stuff, plus all the stuff you accumulate.

2) Your stuff (HHG) isnt going to arrive fast, cargo container is about 3 months. Your still going to have to buy basics and/or furnish your housing.

3) You will need to figure out how to transport your stuff from the port of entry to your actual dwelling, and will likely have to complete customs and import procedures, which could require import tariffs.