What you wish you knew in your first year of teaching in IT

damok

What you wish you knew in your first year of teaching in IT

Post by damok »

Hi all,

In 5 months I will pulling up stumps in Australia and moving to Taiwan to begin my first role as an MYP Humanities teacher. I am feeling a mixture of excitement and fear (what will I do if I hate it? What if I can't make friends?) but mostly just excitement that I will taking my first step on a new career and will have the pleasure of living in an exotic location. The schools seems like a decent school according to paid reviews sections. The housing allowance and salary plus other benefits seems like I could live a pretty comfortable life as a single person. The two Admins I have met up with (both during and after the conference) seem like very nice people who are highly effective at their work. Most students will be local and so I doubt I will have any discplinary issues. From my research, it seems like a good school to begin my international teaching career.

I have been taking Mandarin classes to help prepare myself for living in Taiwan - but it is such a hard language so things are going a bit slower than I would like.

So my questions to you all more experienced people. What did you wish you did or knew in your first year of teaching in international school.

I'd like to hear about some advice on teaching is IT - whether It be about the workload, dealing with other staff, getting your head around the IB, teaching students who are ESL but in the IB program etc.

BUT

I would also love to hear some advice on getting adapted to a foreign country and what tips you give - how did you deal with culture shock, making friends with expats and locals, creating a healthy life/work balance etc.
sid

Re: What you wish you knew in your first year of teaching in

Post by sid »

1. Read up on culture shock, its cycles and how to support yourself through it. Being able to recognize the highs and lows is key to surviving and thriving.
2. Put yourself out there. Typically, in the first weeks you'll get tons of social invitations, some organized officially through the school and others just cause expats tend to do that. Accept these invitations, and be open to exploring activities and friendships that wouldn't normally be on your radar. After a few weeks, when the invites die down, it's your turn. Invite people out. Invite people over. Arrange a weekend trip or a day's event. If you don't, before you know it you'll be bored and lonely.
3. The first year is very expensive. Getting your apartment the way you like it. Buying all those basic foods and equipment to stock your kitchen. Trying new activities and tourist stuff. Buying a car. Take as much ready money as you can and don't expect to save too much for months.
4. Don't hang out with the naysayers. Find the happy people and become one of them.
Good luck.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Find out about the school's HR department. What do they offer? How do they support you? How do other employees rate them?

The good HR departments will offer assistance with not only housing, but also setting up things like internet/phone/bank accounts, etc. They should offer transportation assistance in the early days (how are you going to get all those furnishings to your new place? Delivery? Crowded local bus?) as well as assistance with miscellaneous things like getting a local drivers' license or local tax forms. They should ideally offer a welcome of some kind--either another teacher who can show you the ropes or a kit or informational packet to help you prepare. They might even offer support for buying furnishings/car or taking over a rental from departing teachers. They should acquaint you with local surprises like paying to use public restrooms or the fact that X is a bank holiday or that all stores close at 8:00 or how to navigate mass transit.

They should offer a "what to do" list or at least some sort of support in handling minor (and major) crises. We were rear-ended pretty badly early in the school year, totaling our car. We called the school, and they immediately advised us on our legal obligations and rights and insisted we get checked at the hospital just to be safe. They offered to send someone to assist us, but as I spoke the language, we were fine. You will want to know how to handle these types of things, though I sincerely hope that you never need it!

Obscure laws are also a biggie. In some countries certain traffic signs also function as automatic speed limit signs, but the average visitor or newcomer might not know. There may be laws about behavior in public places that are so ingrained that locals forget to tell you these things. For example, penalties for jaywalking are comparatively stiff in Singapore, while in Vietnam blogging about politics will earn you jail time. In Germany you are required to offer assistance in an emergency and can be prosecuted for failing to do so. You may not wear camouflage in Barbados. Is it normal to wait a month to get internet? What is the procedure for rent deposits? Trash? Are there noise restrictions or holiday customs you should know?

You will learn these things as you go, of course. There are too many to list. But the biggest thing you should know early on is how good your HR department is and how they address these and myriad other issues.

Hope that helps!
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Find the familiar. This might be a shopping mall with familiar stores, fellow expats, anything which can connect you with home. For me, it's having the BBC iPlayer radio app, so I can still listen to Radio 2 or 5 Live when I want to. For my wife, it's Starbucks, and for my daughter being able to find tins of Heinz Baked Beans.

Adapting is really about how you deal with your new situation. At first, it will all seem wonderful - a bit like a holiday. Then the reality kicks in and you start to get a bit fed up with it (why are people always late? Why does the logical thing never happen?) and that's when the homesickness can kick in. I'm quite a laid back person so the irritating parts of life tend to wash over me anyway, but it's really important not to let them get to you. Eventually - and this is different for everyone - you reach a point of acceptance, even if it's just accepting that you're going to have to be irritated by those things for the next couple of years.

Find out how to get around. If buying a car's not an option because the driving is too crazy stupid, then who are the most reliable taxi drivers? Does Uber or Careem work in your city? What's the public transport like?

Speak to other teachers as soon as - or even before - you get there. Second year teachers were the most helpful, as they had the most recent experience of arriving.

Finally, as others have said, watch out for the "naysayers." They will drag you down with them - and you'll probably find they return year after year anyway. Make your own mind up about the country and city.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

As mentioned above, almost everyone goes through a honeymoon period when they first get to their new country. However - after a couple of months you will probably face a flat patch where you wonder what the hell you've actually gotten yourself into. To put it simple - the novelty of living overseas has worn off and you start to miss home or the last country you lived in (if it was a nice place of course). However - just remember that almost all people go through this.

When you go home for holidays - everyone will think that living overseas is an adventure everyday and must feel really exotic and amazing. However - working overseas is just that - work in another country. My current school is in what some people see as slightly exotic but for me it's just an english speaking school in another country.

Also remember that things which normally take you almost no time at home will take ages overseas. You won't be able to find specific ingredients easily or cheaply like you did at home. For where you are going - ask people about the "Pineapple Store" and this will get you most of your cooking supplies.

For where you are going - there is almost never an oven in the kitchen but most apartments are fully furnished. This will reduce your setting up costs compared to other countries. For example - in Japan you even have to buy light fittings, A/C, beds, everything! Buy an oven from Costco in Taiwan! It's cheaper, in English and larger than the local varieties.

It's also common to use a housing agent in Taiwan. As such, you often pay 1 month rent and 1 month deposit. Some agents will also ask for a 1 month finders fee. This is either paid by you or the landlord.

The comment of not saving much money in the first 2 or 3 months is correct. This is mainly because you are setting up your house but once this is done it's relatively inexpensive to live.

Staying away from the whingers and complainers is a big thing. All schools have them and try and avoid them like the plague if possible. Also remember that things won't be like Australia and there are advantages and disadvantages. For example - almost all shops are open until 10pm even on Sundays!

Eating local (including at the night markets) is relatively safe in Taiwan. Remember that it is a true democracy - as you will see near elections.

You'll also get to experience another side of Taiwanese life such as fireworks going off at 4am in the morning because someones ancestors told them too for some reason in a premonition. The burning of ghost money also still makes me chuckle - as burning paper money will give their ancestors wealth in the afterlife. If you stay in Taiwan for CNY, ask people about going to the fireworks festival in Tainan. I've never been but it's meant to be the most amazing and dangerous things you've ever seen in your life.

Taiwanese people may be a little standoffish at first - but they really are amazing people when you get to know them. Don't be offended if they don't invite you to have dinner at their place - it's normal to eat out in Taiwan.

Also - don't feel afraid to ask for help. I still have memories of buying a microwave and dragging it along 10 subway stops and another 5-10 minute walk from the station in absolutely stifling heat. A month later - I noticed that a place that sells microwaves could be seen from my window.

Don't worry about not remembering where everything is at the beginning - as there is just too much to remember. Also learning the language (any language) takes much longer than you think and don't worry too much about this. You will learn it eventually.
az0116

Post by az0116 »

Find community inside and outside of your work environment. It's helpful to have a thing you like or want to try on a consistent basis (for me it's going to open mic, though I am not a good singer or poet), so that you have a place to meet new people and find like-minded friends.

Laws and rules are flexible in certain countries. In China, I lost my ID card needed to get on the trains (I'm American, but Chinese birth and still have my national ID), so I went to the police department and got a temporary one. On way back home, I realized I would have to repeat this process since the temp ID expired. But when I explained this to the policeman, I got yelled out of the office. Are you stupid? Why are you so honest? Just fold it roughly so the expiration date is hidden and shove it at the worker at the counter! No one is going to care! So I took his advice and got through. So many situations like this here in Italy too. A law says one thing but real life situations say another. If you find yourself in such a country, you should not take the first answer as truth, but ask many questions to probe; so this isn't allowed, but I really need to get it done, is there another way? what would you recommend? etc.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I wish I had known that the unexpected can and will happen. My salary's okay, but not when a bunch of unforeseen things came up this year. I'll have to get to Asia/ME in the next few years so I can save up more of a buffer - not just for retirement for all the stuff that comes up.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Keep all negative comments to yourself until you get to know people. It's very hard to know who to trust. The faculty in an IT school is like any other school...cliques, tattletales, who's the brown-noser, etc. Stay as positive as possible your first year. Keep your true feelings about school close to the vest.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Be careful about the people you work with. I have found that the people who were the most open and friendly at first have turned out to only be interested in me because they want to gossip and bitch and talk about everyone's personal lives. I avoid that and I have become friends with people that I would never have expected at the start of the year.

Ask for help is fine. Most locals are happy enough to try to help you (in most countries; I can't speak for Taiwan). If they ask you 'You like Taiwan?' you say 'Yes I love it!' regardless of how you feel. No need to spit in their faces. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but the number of people here who sit and complain to the locals about their country astounds me. It's so rude.

Go limp. Let things wash over you. It is not easy uprooting your life and moving to a new country, but you WILL BE FINE. Give it 6 months before making any decisions about the place - it takes a long time to get used to things and meet people, and you really have to work at it. You're an Aussie - join a rugby club, play cricket, look for Aussie groups etc - they will exist. Sport is in my experience the easiest way to connect with similar-minded people that you don't work with. Don't just hang out with people you work with or you'll talk about school all day and night and you'll want to hang yourself.

There WILL be locals trying to take advantage of you because you are (I guess?) white, or at least an expat. Expats = rich. That's the way we're seen around the world. So if something seems expensive, it's probably because you're paying the foreigner price. Try to buy local where possible for effective cost of living.