AASSA

worldtravel

AASSA

Post by worldtravel »

Hi. I am new to all of this, but I find this board quite informative.

I have sent my resumes around to various schools in SA and had little response. Should I register for the AASSA fair? I was under the impression that I should have invites to interview before I go there.

About how many people attend this fair?
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

I'd really like to see some responses to this post, also. I have posted questions about South & Central American schools but no one ever seems to reply. I know that those countries make up only a small percentage of intl schools out there but surely some people on this board could share their insight. I'll cross my fingers and keeping checking.
fran

Attending a conference

Post by fran »

I worked in South America and in Central America. My experience has been that AASSA is the best place to find a position and that most schools do not seem to respond to emails. It appears that the ads they post are just there to announce what is available but in the end they really want to meet you and the conference is the best place.
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Fran,
Would you mind posting the schools you worked at in C & S America and your thoughts on them? Thanks.
fran

School I worked at

Post by fran »

I worked in Guatemala and I'm sure the school has changed. Both schools were an excellent experience. I love Latin America and have never had a safety problem. Yes, people get robbed and pick pocketed but that happens in the States, as well.

What country are you considering working in?
worldtravel

So ... I just show up?

Post by worldtravel »

So then, if I don't hear anything ... I just show up to the fair? What happens then?

Are many hirings made at this fair or do they hold out until after the Feb. fairs?
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

I am actually working in the States right now. I was overseas for four years... Cairo & Seoul. I am contemplating on going to a job fair this winter. I joined this site to keep up with the in's & out's of different schools while I am back in the States. If I don't wind up going to a fair this year, I probably will do so at some point in the future. I miss overseas teaching a great deal. I would not mind doing C or S America but only if it were a decent school and there don't seem to be many. I keep my eye on La Paz in Bolivia, Roosevelt in Lima, ECA in Venezuela, the schools in Uruguay & Paraguay and a couple in Brazil. Any others you have heard good things about would be welcome information! Where are you thinking of heading next? And where are you now?
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Worldtravel,
Are you signing up for the Atlanta fair?
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

I am also interested in Venezuela but am considered with all the Chavez drama. Anyone there with inside info? Is the country really falling into such a bad state?
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

That is the question ... do I sign up for the Atlanta fair without any prior contacts made with schools?
fran

Go to the fair

Post by fran »

Many times schools do not respond to inquiries but then welcome you at their table during the fair. I feel they must get a log of email and are unable to answer it all. I would go to the fair as I have emailed schools and received no reply and then found a note in my box at the fair asking me to come for an interview. That's just the way it is.
theczechs

ASSA

Post by theczechs »

Hi-
I attended an AASSA fair about 5 years ago. It was a great fair because it is comparatively small when looking at ISS or SEARCH. When I arrived I had notes in my "mailbox" of schools that wanted interviews. I did nothing previous to the fair in terms of contacting schools.
I ended up getting a great package at Colegio C Parrish in Barranquilla. I stayed for 4 years. I traveled extensively in South and Central America during my time there.
This is a GREAT school in a WONDERFUL and BEAUTIFUL country-don't put all your trust in the news.
If you want more extensive info on schools in Colombia or my experience, let me know. Colombia remains to be a hidden jem of Countries.
I have since been teaching in the Middle East and Asia so I have some thing to compare to!
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Czechs,

What school did you work at in the ME & Asia? How did you like them?
theczechs

Kuwait and Indonesia

Post by theczechs »

Saiyara,
In the ME, we worked in Kuwait. There are many singles, lots of sporting and non academic clubs and many, many expats. Most are aware of the ISR and the reports on Kuwait and its schools- I agree. Kuwait and the Gulf region are a bit repressive for our taste but places like Jordan and Syria are a must see.
We are in Indonesia now living in a little, well big village in Northern Sumatra, Medan. The school, the Medan International School provides IB training and there are admin opps! Teacher work load is heavy thus the high turn over.
AND>>>If you cant live with rats or the pollution, beware!
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

So ... do people know if jobs are offered shortly after this fair, or if schools wait until after the bigger ones to make job offers. I don't want to spend the money going down to this fair if they are going to wait until ISS anyway.