How do you keep your certification current?

Saiyara

How do you keep your certification current?

Post by Saiyara »

My home state renews certification for only five years at a time. To be eligible for continuing/recertification one must earn 10 hours. This can be semester hours from a university or from classes sponsored by specific counties in which one teaches. Since I am teaching overseas, I am not eligible for the latter. I really don't want to have to take university coursework online so I am at a loss as to what to do.

I have heard that there are a few states that will grant certification without requiring continuing education coursework.

For those of you who have been overseas for a while, exactly how do you keep you certification up?

Thanks.
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

I knew a teacher who just bounced around from state to state, getting temporary certification after temporary certification. You could try that.

Personally, I intend to get the hours that renew my Texas certificate. 10 college hours sounds about right. Texas requires 150 clock hours. You get 5 hours for every hour of college courses, so one standard course will get you 45 clock hours. That translates to about 10 hours.
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Texas,

Thanks for a super fast reply. I've never heard of someone doing the temporary certification thing that way before. I may investigate that a little further.

My home state, Georiga, requires 10 hours. But it sounds different from your situation in Texas. If I did it via a university, I'd have to take three different courses each being 3 semester hours. That would give me 9 of the 10 hours I would need. I'd have to find a way to get 1 more hour to complete the 10. I already have my master's degree and am not interested in taking 3 university courses.

Also, it really blows that my state will not take professional development hours from overseas schools. They only accept those if thay are done via a school system in one of the Georgia counties.

Sure hope someone knows of a state that does not require coursework for certification. I know I heard someone mention this to me several years back. Wish I had paid attention!
mathteach

Post by mathteach »

I am from Illinois and I do not have to get the required hours. Why? Because I am not teaching Illinois children at this time (and that is who they are concerned about), they don't care if I get the hours or not! Well, that is at least how it was explained to me. I pay my $25 for a 5 year renewal and I'm done. Of course, if I ever go back to teaching in Illinois I might have to take 30 hours just to be up to date on my required hours since I've been gone so long!!! But I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Hope this helps.
intlteacher

Post by intlteacher »

California is a good state to be certified in, as well. They accept PD from over here, as far as I know. And, renewal is online.